Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp 2 and Breadboard. — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp 2 and Breadboard.

Special_KSpecial_K Posts: 162
edited 2006-07-12 19:41 in Robotics
Hello all,
I am hoping the Parallax community can help me out.
I have a Basic Stamp 2 but have killed the board of education (do not ask). the stamp is already programmed. I was just wandering if I could plug the Basic Stamp directly into a bread board (I have a spare). I have a
5V Regulator Kit
(1) heat sink kit with 4/40 screw and nut
(1) 5v 1.5 amp voltage regulator
(2) 100 µF caps
(1) 10 µF cap
from the crustcrawler site.
can anyone tell me how to do this or lead me to a site that explains this in some sort of detail.
I know I can get another Parallax BOE but since this project is all but done I would like to not have that money sitting in a box when it can be used to make more bots..
when done with the prototyping process do most people move there basic stamps to a bread board?

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-11 05:34
    Special_K -

It's difficult to tell exactly what your immediate goal is, but I suspect it's one of the following:

1. If you're asking can I build up a common breadboard, and make it into a PBASIC Carrier Board, the answer is yes, but personally I wouldn't advise it. IMHO, you're just asking for capacitance problems, loose connections, and other problems which may be difficult to troubleshoot. If those problems ocurred on a ... circuity board (as opposed to carrier board) then you have just a few outlying wiring connection to contend with, not the "core" of the project.

2. If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative to a BOE board, I'd just grab a BS-2 carrier board (#27120) for $24.00 and just keep it around as a spare board for small prototypes afterwards. Here is the board:
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27120

3. Last, you might want to look at the BS-2 OEM kit, either for the information it provides, or for the component lists and schematics. That information can be found here:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/basicstamps/basic_stamps_oem.asp

If I've missed it altogether, I apologize smile.gif

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Matt WhiteMatt White Posts: 60
    edited 2006-07-11 05:45
    This will tell you what the pin outs are on the stamp as well as interfacing with it:
    http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/schem/bs2.pdf

I usually reuse my parts, so I leave things on the breadboard until I need it for something else. I made a habit of keeping several breadboards around so I can work on multiple projects at the same time.

Ultimately I'd suggest replacing your BOE or finding another carrier board for the stamp.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-11 07:31
    If you can get hold of a copy of the 3rd Edition of Robot Builders Bonanza, it shows how to setup a BS2 module on a breadboard with a home-brew cable.

if you can't find the book, look it up on Amazon, search inside the book for BS2 setup, and check out the first link. You should be able to view a few pages that will give you some pictures and schematics.
  • Special_KSpecial_K Posts: 162
    edited 2006-07-11 18:54
    Kevin Wood
    this is exactly what I a looking to do.
    Is there any kind of web resource that gives me this information. hop.gif
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-07-12 14:07
    Here's the link to the schematic of the supercarrier board --·www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/schem/supercarrier.pdf

The supercarrier is made so that you can use a BS1 with it, too, just omit that section.
  • Special_KSpecial_K Posts: 162
    edited 2006-07-12 16:20
    I found this protobot schematic I think it is what I am going to use. I uploaded pics. does anyone who has done this type of thing before see any major problems with the schematic.
    you can find the full PDF here
    http://www.robotstore.com/download/ultimate.pdf
    Figure 35: Pin 1 (input) on the 7805 goes to positive +9 volts, pin 2 (GND) goes to ground (X), and pin 3 (output) to the +5 rail (Y).
    190 x 167 - 9K
    672 x 868 - 41K
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-07-12 19:41
    1. You won't be able to program the BS2 with that circuit. However, adding 5 wires, a DB-9 connector, and two capacitors should get you a programming port.

2. The 7805 should have input and output capacitors. With the 9-volt battery this is not as critical.

3. Most servo's are NOT rated for 9 volts. Again, using the 9-volt battery (which has high internal resistance) this is not as much of a concern. However, the battery won't last long.