Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DS1302 extra ram I/O; how? — Parallax Forums

DS1302 extra ram I/O; how?

verobelverobel Posts: 81
edited 2006-07-11 22:23 in BASIC Stamp
Fellow Stampers;
I would like to read and write data to the ram memory in the 1302. I have code that sets up the clock and reads its values in burst mode; but I am having touble finding example code that shows how to write/read from the 31 bytes of ram. Is the whole 31 bytes available or are there only 7 bytes available if you are using the clock?
thanks, John

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-07-11 04:38
    John,

·· There is an example of this at the following link.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=531080

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • verobelverobel Posts: 81
    edited 2006-07-11 19:53
    thanks chris,

I downloaded your program and it works fine. I think that the extra memory available on this chip should come in handy to many programmers that run out of register space and this seems to be a problem with Basic Stamps when many devices/sensors are attached. With this chip you could swap out/in blocks of variables as required and not have to worry about burning out eprom.

Do you know if the DS1307 has a similar extra ram on board and if your sample program could be used to drive it as well?
    ·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-07-11 22:23
    Yes,

·· The DS1307 has a little more RAM in fact...And it too is backed up with a battery.· However the DS1307 doesn't have a charging circuit like the DS1302, so you cannot recharge your battery or use a Super-Cap for retention.· Also, the DS1307 is I2C interface.· While you could use it in a BS2, if you have a BASIC Stamp that supports I2C then you also have extra RAM in the form of ScratchPad RAM.· So you could use that as well.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com