Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help finding datasheet — Parallax Forums

Need help finding datasheet

TCTC Posts: 1,019
edited 2006-07-13 03:02 in BASIC Stamp
I Bought a Noritake VFD Display (PN GU112x16G-7003) The same display Parallax is selling. I am having troble finding the FULL datasheet, And noitake will not send me one because I did not buy it from them (got it from flea market for $20.00, cant beat it). The display works using Parallax demo programs. I have the short verision. and I have done different things with it. But I would like to know if there is more that I could do. I have looked all over the web with no luck.

So if anyone could help, you would be a life saver

Thanks
TC

If this is in the wrong Forum, sorry.
·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-07-11 04:41
    TC,

·· There will be more example programs for the Noritake Display very soon from us.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • TCTC Posts: 1,019
    edited 2006-07-12 03:49
    Thank You Chris for resopnding. I will be looking foward to it. Also how could I get A BS2p to talk to the display at 115.2Kbps ?, I got it to work at 38.4Kbps (Baud = 45) but when I try faster (baud = 1) I get nothing. could the stamp not go that fast ? if so, how fast could it go? I am trying to do moving pictures.

Thank You

TC
    edited 2006-07-12 04:14
    TC,

·· For the display to go higher jumper pads need to be changed on it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-07-12 04:47
    witch pads on the back do I connect? I know what J2 does. but I do not know what the others do. Noitake will not tell me, I have no tech support with Noitake, since I did not buy from them. That is why I am still searching the web for the Full datasheet, to find out what this display can do.

TC

Post Edited (TC) : 7/12/2006 4:54:36 AM GMT
    edited 2006-07-12 14:06
    TC,

·· I understand that...We are going to·release some demo codes that focus on the various functions of the display while documenting the details of those functions.· Changes to the hardware probably won't be addressed.· The display has other capabilities and functions related to serial communication as well but for our purposes the default settings of the display are what we will address.· Same with the demo code.

··· I don't believe you will see any significant increase in speed of the display between 38.4K and 115.2K due to internal processing times for some functions.· If you need super high-speed you would then use the SPI interface, which again, we're probably not going to cover.· Bear with me though and I will see about getting those demos done as quickly as possible.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-07-12 23:20
    Chris,

I will be counting the days for the demo codes...........DONE YET?tongue.gif· just kidding. I see what you are talking about the speed, I might check out SPI.

I do have one simple but maby a stupid question. On VFD-demo-02.bs2, Why did you have to do two data's for one picture? should it be just 112 bytes wide? and why are they shifted?

Also on VFD-demo-01.bs2, line 63,

"SEROUT VFD, Baud, [noparse][[/noparse]$0C, " Parallax, Inc.", $0A, $0D, "Microcontrollers"]"

There might be a little glitch (or it is my display). Display says "Parallax, Inc.i", It seams the display is not moving to the next line. All I did to fix it is add a space after Parallax, Inc." If it is a glitch just wanted to let you know so others don't have this problem. But If it is just with my display then, sorry for wasting your time.

TC
    ·
    edited 2006-07-13 02:15
    TC,

·· The reason there are 2 DATA bytes for each column is that they're 16 pixels wide.· That takes 2 bytes to do times the width of the picture.· As for the other problem I will check into that tomorrow...I didn't have that issue on my display, but I will see what happens.· Thanks for the feedback.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-07-13 02:20
    I understand that it is 16 bits wide but there is 32 bits wide for each segment, why?

TC
    edited 2006-07-13 02:27
    I guess I am not seeing what are referring to...There are 4 bytes per line in the source, but only 2 go to each column...There is more image data than what you see...I am drawing to the non-visible area as well...Maybe that is what you mean?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-07-13 02:35
    NO I am idiot!!! ·I was thinking the first pair of 8 bits was the image and the second pair was it agian. I had to pause it for 60sec to understand what was being done. From what I can see is, The first pair is the even lines and the second pair is the odd lines.
    ········· Even lines·························· Odd lines
    %00000000, %00000000,····· %00000000, %00000000

Thanks for your help with every thing
    TC
    edited 2006-07-13 03:02
    LOL· You got it now...It's okay...I will make it all more clear in the coming AppNotes...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com