Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
beginner advice needed on a model train robot — Parallax Forums

beginner advice needed on a model train robot

FJ and GFJ and G Posts: 3
edited 2006-07-10 18:35 in Robotics
Hi, first post so hope I'm at right place.

I'm not experienced at Robot building but was wondering where I should start. My dream is to build a 1:48 scale railroad working car that is self propelled (battery), remotely controlled, and has arms to pick up debris from trackside and perhaps to sweep loose ballast.

I've converted Lionel type trains to operate on remote control using a motor boat controller in the backyard garden and frequently get debris on the tracks. This robot would be fun and useful to do maintenance. Doesn't need to be exactly prototypical.

Many thanks.

Dave

PS: if you care to see my conversion process, you can view it here:

http://ogaugerr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3181048701/m/6931099873

Comments

• Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-07-10 18:35
    Hi Dave,

I would start with the basic building blocks you will need, and knowledge of those building blocks- Planning things out well will help you in the long run-

Try to determine what you want for control, sensors, motors, etc. (Servos? DC motors? Steppers?)- How do you want to sense the debris on the track, or is the bot simply going to sweep all of the time? What are the environmental considerations that need to be addressed? Operate at night? Day ?

We're happy to help, try starting out, and questions will come up as you go- we can be of most help with specific questions, rather than general ones (general questions are usually though of as 'design' rather than implementation)-

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com