Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New USB Oscilloscope Software? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

New USB Oscilloscope Software?

2»

Comments

• CCraigCCraig Posts: 163
    edited 2007-04-03 14:46
    I only have one computer (laptop) with everything. Parallax Scope, Logicport, PROP Plug, SX-Key, USBto232. Everything works fine. Sometimes on start up the Scope needs a couple of clicks to start the trace, but after that, all's well. I almost always use the LogicPort and the Scope at the same time.

An old 266Mhz, running 2000. Maybe that's the difference.

HTH, Chris
  • statemachinestatemachine Posts: 24
    edited 2007-04-04 00:53
    You may be right.By the time you pile all the·garbage running in the background on the Windows box...but I am no expert on that matter.Do you have a powered hub?
  • DosManDanDosManDan Posts: 179
    edited 2007-04-04 22:47
    OK, I have a couple of minor complaints/bugs:

1) They·switched the RED and BLUE leads from version 4.0. RED use to be channel 2 and now it is channel 1 (or visa vera, I don't have it in front of me).

2) The old version had a way to magnify or enlarge the output. I haven't seen the equivalent function with the new software.

3) The area of the screen where you can select horiz and vert bars, the frequency readout overwrites one of the symbols·(I think it's the Delta symbol that is overwritten). I'll post a pic of this when I get home.

4) I don't remember the old version doing this but....if you set the red and blue lines to measure the voltage, the readings change when you click the red or blue channel buttons. I don't remember this in the prev version. Almost had heart failure when it read 10V for my 3V chip. I believe it should read from the base of the red channel up to the measurement line. Instead, if you have the blue channel selected, it seems to read from the base of the blue up to the red.

I'll post pics to make this a little more clear. These are just the things I remember noticing while·under·ion induced insominia....hehe.

Dan
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-06 22:32
    Dan,

The colors have been corrected in the current download. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • DosManDanDosManDan Posts: 179
    edited 2007-04-10 23:35
    Thanks Chris, thought I had the latest version. I'll download it again and give it a shot.

Dan
  • dhokedhoke Posts: 2
    edited 2008-01-18 03:27
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    Hello,

Plus the USB Scope and a second line for testing any RMA scopes we get. I also have a memory card reader attached and the BASIC Stamp Logic Analyzer. All these items work together great.

[noparse][[/noparse]briefly hijacking thread for related sub-topic (oscope software communication capability, how many oscope instances supported)]
    So, have you had both scopes operational (your USB scope plus an RMA scope) at the same time, with one software instance talking to both, or two software instances, each scope communicating with its own software instance?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-01-18 15:51
    Hello,

I have an extra cable for connecting a scope for testing purposes…I never have them both running at the same time per se. Originally I had my own scope set to a specific COM Port. When I would plug any other scope into this extra cable it would come up as COM 5 and I would change the port in the software between 5 or the COM Port mine was one to select which one I was using. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2008-01-18 21:43
    Hello dhoke,

Each instance of the software is only going to connect to one COM port at a time and support 2 channels.· However I have used two Parallax USB Oscilloscope units·on my XP laptop at the same time without problems.··Sometimes·I was using·the 4.0 software on one and the 5.1 software on another, and at other times·I had two instances of the 5.1 software open and each using different COM ports.·· I have not tried more than two units (I only have two USB ports on my laptop).· One thing to keep in mind when using more than one is that the scope is powered through the USB port, so using two units on an unpowered hub would cause problems.

-Stephanie Lindsay,

Editor, Parallax Inc.