Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Intel Macintosh — Parallax Forums

Intel Macintosh

Craig PaulCraig Paul Posts: 7
edited 2006-08-23 01:54 in BASIC Stamp
I have been using the Basic Stamp with my old G4 Mac OSX tiger, Recently I upgraded to the new Intel chip also with Tiger, however I can not get the tokenizer.shlb to be seen by the MacBS2 program and hence it can not see the BoeBot on the USB Port.

I have tried different versions of the tokenizer.shlb and also of the FTDIUSBserialdriver.kext but the solution evades me. Any one with any suggestions.

Craig
New Zealand

Comments

• Craig PaulCraig Paul Posts: 7
    edited 2006-07-10 10:41
    Got it going!!!!!

Intel Mac OS X FTDI USB Driver - Requires 10.4 (Tiger) Version 2.2.0

Found a driver here

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/usbciv/

This works fine.
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-07-10 22:35
    The FTDI site also has it:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...
  • Special_KSpecial_K Posts: 162
    edited 2006-07-11 21:13
    have you tried the boebot with Parallels. I am interested if it works.
    I have both a mac and a PC and I think the PC software is just better, at least in the debug department and the check syntax.
    let me know if you need a temp 30 day trial serial I have one.
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-07-12 05:10
    Short Answer:
    Basic Stamp Editor and FTDI drivers within Windows 2K Pro inside a Parallels virtual machine on an Intel Mac works.

Long Answer: smile.gif
    I have a Mac mini Intel Core Duo on my electronics workbench and have been using the MacBS2 app on it very successfully. I do like many features of the Windows Basic Stamp Editor but I prefer the MacBS2 app mostly because it operates on my preferred platform. I do work cross-platform though so getting Parallels installed on the mini and Windows running within it wasn't even a question for me.

After I installed Parallels I created a Win 2K Pro virtual machine on it. With the FTDI drivers installed under Mac OS X, Parallels was unable to get access to the FTDI USB ports and I was initially unable to install the FTDI drivers in the Win 2K Pro vm (Windows doesn't "see" the ports so it never asks trys to auto-install them and the Add Hardware Control Panel can't find the ports either). I disabled the Mac OS X FTDI drivers (just move them out of the
    /System/Library/Extensions

directory and reboot) and Parallels was then able to see the USB ports, make them available to the Win 2K vm, and I was able to install the Windows FTDI drivers. That done, the Windows Basic Stamp Editor worked as expected.

I have a Professional Development Board, a BOE, and several BS2 OEM boards (the latter connected via a Keyspan USB-to-serial converter). Both of the USB-based boards work well with MacBS2 as well as the Windows Basic Stamp Editor (though not at the same time for the driver-based reason explained above). I did not test the Keyspan driver in the Parallels Win 2K Pro vm so I do not know for a fact that it works but I would expect it to since I was able to get the FTDI drivers to work.

I haven't tested Windows XP Home or Pro but I expect that either should work given the general similarities between Win 2K and Win XP.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...

Vive Le Tour!
    July 1 - July 23

Post Edited (aalegado) : 7/12/2006 5:14:33 AM GMT
  • Craig PaulCraig Paul Posts: 7
    edited 2006-07-12 09:33
    Very good, I have never tried running windows on my Mac i am happy with just OSX and the macBS2 application to run the BoeBot. It seems to do all I require and works fine.
  • Special_KSpecial_K Posts: 162
    edited 2006-07-12 18:25
    this is a good site to track the Mac-Windows progress.

http://www.macwindows.com/
  • dbgdbg Posts: 4
    edited 2006-08-20 06:55
    So, has anyone managed to get SX programming to work with Parallels on an Intel Mac and a Keyspan 19HS USB to Serial adapter?
    I've got the adapter showing up in XP in Parallels just fine, but it doesn't show up in the SXkey-v3.2 software, the list of Serial ports is empty.
    I'm using the latest Keyspan drivers.
    Do I need different drivers, or must I buy a different USB to Serial adapter?
    I've spent a whole day getting XP installed and up to date... anxious to get this working. Very frustrating...
    Dave
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-21 14:24
    Hello,

·· This message should be in the SX Forum, and you should start a new thread.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • JMYJMY Posts: 6
    edited 2006-08-23 01:54
    hello all,
    I just got an intel mac, and i have a beklin USB to serial adapter f5u109,I am using the newest version of macbs2, but under ports there are none. can anyone give me any ideas on what i can do. Or if the usb to serial adapter i have will even work. Thanks for your help, I am new to the whole mac world so please bare with me

Thanks Justin