Hey ! full prop manual for d/l

SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
edited 2006-07-10 20:04 in Propeller 1
its on the main site ... cool
dantongue.gif

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-07-08 15:56
    Thanks, Sawmiller, for the heads up. I don't look at the site every day, but do browse the forum.

Wow, only 438 pages to print out! yeah.gif Finally

Is this the $25 manual due out about Aug? Might be worth it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,824
    edited 2006-07-08 16:42
    I took a quick glance at the manual, I noticed the tuturial part is done, for SPIN. Anybody know if their will be a tuturial for the asm part.
    Ray
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-07-08 17:15
    A couple things to keep in mind: the manual is written with the 1.0 version of Propeller Tool which hasn't been released yet. There are a couple things that are different from version 0.95.1. The code on page 145 won't compile in 0.95.1 because it only allows the TRUNC operator in a CON block. Also, it looks like the Load EEPROM and Load EEPROM + Run commands have been consolidated into a single Load EEPROM command that loads the EEPROM and runs the program. Those are the only two differences I've found.

Ray: Version 1.0 of the Propeller manual won't have an Assembler tutorial, but at least we now have a full Assembly reference.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
  • ciw1973ciw1973 Posts: 64
    edited 2006-07-08 18:35
    Had a look at this earlier today, and there are quite a few little typos and sections which have obviously been copied, pasted and not properly modified in the reference sections, but proof reading before the final version is sent to the printers will be one of the reasons this is available to us all now.

Still, a fine piece of work, and it's further enhanced my interest in the Propeller. I really, really want a Demo Board now.

I'll be printing this off tonight for a proper read, but will still be ordering a proper printed version, which I'm assuming will be coming with the Starter Kit.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-07-08 21:41
    Either I'm deluded about the assembly commands MAX, MIN, and their signed counterparts, or the new manual has them backwards. According to the manual, MAX will "get [noparse][[/noparse]the] greater of two unsigned values." But my original understanding (which I've used successfully) is that MAX operates as a limiter that keeps the dest at or below the src (i.e. establishes dest as a maximum for src), much like the MAX operator in PBASIC. So, in effect MAX gets the lesser of two unsigned values. (Personally, I'd prefer the interpretation in the new manual — if only it were correct. PBASIC's MAX and MIN always seemed backwards to me.)

-Phil
  • hammerhead74000hammerhead74000 Posts: 58
    edited 2006-07-08 22:00
    Woo Hoo! jumpin.gif

438 Pages... so do you guys have sore fingers yet? turn.gif
  • ciw1973ciw1973 Posts: 64
    edited 2006-07-09 11:51
    Aye, my "Page Down" finger was getting a bit sore, but I've since printed everything out (praise be to duplex printers which will scale down things to print in an A5 booklet format!) and have been reading my way through it, cover to cover making notes and marking typos/errors along the way. Obviously, I'll email these back to the Parallax guys ASAP.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-07-09 19:16
    Must immediately go buy more ink for the inkjet and more paper. Parallax said it would deliver in July.
    I guess I wll take the summer off and play with the Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-07-10 05:00
    Phil, you're right.

The assembly instructions MAX and MAXS·force D to be less than or equal to S. They limit D's maximum value.

The assembly instructions MIN and MINS·force D to be·greater than or equal to S. They limit D's minimum value.

······· MIN···· D,#100······· 'Limit D's minimum to 100

······· MAX····D,#500······· 'Limit D's maximum to 500
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    Either I'm deluded about the assembly commands MAX, MIN, and their signed counterparts, or the new manual has them backwards. According to the manual, MAX will "get [noparse][[/noparse]the] greater of two unsigned values." But my original understanding (which I've used successfully) is that MAX operates as a limiter that keeps the dest at or below the src (i.e. establishes dest as a maximum for src), much like the MAX operator in PBASIC. So, in effect MAX gets the lesser of two unsigned values. (Personally, I'd prefer the interpretation in the new manual — if only it were correct. PBASIC's MAX and MIN always seemed backwards to me.)

-Phil
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2006-07-10 20:04
    Hi all,

Yes, there will be an assembly part of the tutorial in a future version (not v1.0, but pretty soon).

Also, as noted earlier, the last code example at the end of Chapter 3 will not compile on the currently released version of software.· Here is the line of code as it should look to compile with version 0.95.1 of the tool.

Term.Dec(constant(trunc(B*K))*constant(trunc(C*K))/constant(trunc(D*K)))

Also, we posted a corrected version this morning that fixes MAX, MAXS, MIN, and MINS description errors.· Thank you to those who alerted us to that issue.

Please send any and all notes for corrections to the manual to: editor@parallax.com
    ... and we will correct them as soon as possible.

And about the software, there will be another update that we will release next week, around the 20th or 21st of the month.

Thank you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Jeff Martin) : 7/10/2006 8:08:23 PM GMT