Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Will the PING distance sensor from Parallax... — Parallax Forums

Will the PING distance sensor from Parallax...

denodeno Posts: 242
edited 2006-07-07 19:02 in BASIC Stamp
measure the level of water inside a 2" diameter· PVC pipe?

Let me explain further:· I need to determine the depth of water inside a 2" PVC pipe.· The measuring distances will be from about 5 inches to 42 inches. Does anybody know if I mount the above sensor in the top of the pipe, with the sensor pointing down inside the pipe, will I get a good reading?· Or, will the walls of the pipe interfere with the transmitted/returned pulse?

The sensors will not get wet, due to the fact that the water level will always be below the sensor, and there is no pressure on the colume of water to push water up ·into the sensor transmitter or receiver.

Has anyone used this sensor inside a pipe like this with good results?

Deno

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-07-07 19:02
    Test to see if the PING will sense the outside of a PVC pipe....I suspect it will as it is a fairly hard/rigid item.

I'd guess there'd be plenty of reflections in the tube. The ping will reflect off of water (I've only tried it in an open bucket)....its signal will also reflect off of wave peaks, but it won't reflect back to you....so calm water is best.

You could look at building baffles along the inside of the tube if you get eradic readings. Essentially little foamy blocks that would absorb the pulse energy coming back to them. This is essentially the same as putting a long cone around the IR sensors to shield out outside light....

Was just thinking (uh oh!)....the ping's dimensions kind of lend it to JUST fit in the 2" pvc.· So, baffles would really start to hinder the transmit.
    If you placed the baffles further down, you might be ok....but you say you want to measure the water level to as close as 5" from the sensor....

Something else to think of is expanding the size of the "sample pipe".· So, in the range you'd like to measure, expand the pipe to 4" and the sides become less of an issue with more roome for baffles.

What exactly is it that you're measuring?· is it pressure in a tank or sea level water levels?

To be honest, it's best to just try it and see!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

Post Edited (steve_b) : 7/7/2006 7:07:11 PM GMT