Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Power Supply — Parallax Forums

Power Supply

whitelancerwhitelancer Posts: 23
edited 2006-07-13 13:55 in General Discussion
To anyone that can help,

I have set up two battery packs for power on my robot. One pack is 9V and runs the Javelin Stamp. The other is 6V and powers the motors and motor controller. All the batteries are lithium 1000 mAh batteries. The two packs have been grounded together and yet I am still have trouble getting the motors to run. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help me out. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Jon

Comments

• Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2006-07-07 15:49
    Can the lithium pack supply enough current for your motors?
    I thought lithium has high capacity with small volume, but
    the drawback was a lower current output.
    Have you tried ordinary batteries for your motors?
    What code do you use?

regards peter
  • whitelancerwhitelancer Posts: 23
    edited 2006-07-07 17:27
    yeah using NiMH batteries I can run the motors however the Javelin Stamp will not run long on the lithium pack. I was wondering what is setup is usually used to power the Stamp. Attached is the code that I am using for the robot. Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
    Jon
    edited 2006-07-07 18:56
    The javelin draws about 65mA, so 1000mAh gives you about 15h runtime.
    (probably less due to voltage drop)
    NiMH is probably better suited for the job, larger capacity and cheap chargers.
    regards peter
    ·
    edited 2006-07-10 20:32
    The voltage drop for the lithium batteries was so fast that it the mircoprocessor only sent signals for about 1 min. I have been using a NiMH pack of five 1.2 V 900mah batteries. However, it can only power the microprocessor, servo controller, and one of the five servo motors. I am working in a small space and was hoping that there was a battery solution that could power everything even if it is for less than half an hour. Let me know what you think. Thanks again,

Jon
    edited 2006-07-10 20:41
    There are 2700mAh·1.2V NiMH penlight (AA) rechargeable batteries.
    That gives you 3 times your current capacity.
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm
    regards peter
    edited 2006-07-13 13:55
    Thanks Peter for all of your help. Yeah the batteries work for the robot so I will plan on using them. I was looking for somthing a little smaller, however, i don't think i will be able to find it. Anyway thanks again for your time and support.

Sincerely,