Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Short pulses, short delays... — Parallax Forums

Short pulses, short delays...

Al AdrianAl Adrian Posts: 4
edited 2006-07-05 23:07 in BASIC Stamp
Here's a question for you code gurus.

I'm trying to duplicate part functionality of a wierd IR remote control made by Garmin. (I want to put some buttons on my handlebar, and do a few remote commands on a GPS, as well as measure temperature and battery voltage..)

This IR remote does not produce pulses that sit on a 40khz carrier... instead it produces individual 19 microsecond wide pulses, with a unit dealy between them of 82ish microseconds.
The command string is about 7 milliseconds long with some 33 pulses in there. Start and end of each string is identical, with the 'meat' of the command in the middle arrangement of the pulses...

The longest delay is 10 (82 microsecond) units, the shortest (and most common) is one unit.

I'm a basic stamp newbe in the extreme. I can make my 10 microsecond pulses fine with PULSOUT... but how would you make the longer spaces between pulses? all the pause type commands are too long... so could I send a pulsout command to a null pin or something? I think once I get something running... I'll have to be able to 'tune' it a bit to get the GPS to recognise the commands...

Also, some hints about how to handle the data that comprises some 10 33(ish) digit pulses, and feed it into the command building function... I'm thinking lookup or something? A sample command with a unit number for each delay would look like this:

Thanks for any help offered!

Al...