Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about using USB to communication with a BS2 — Parallax Forums

Question about using USB to communication with a BS2

TumbleweedTumbleweed Posts: 45
edited 2006-07-04 17:25 in BASIC Stamp
I'm new to BS2's and have a question about using them in an application for my work.

I need to capture data collected from a variety of sensors that will be controlled by a BS2. I would like to use a USB connection to do this. can I use a USB2SER adaptor for this?

If so, how does it work to simulate a COM port? Or a better question is, how does my VB program send the instructions to the correct device and then listen for the response?

Thanks,
Lance

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-07-04 17:10
    Lance,

·· If you had a header to connect the RX/TX pins of the USB2SER to 2 pins on your BASIC Stamp (and GND) then you could send/receive data that way.· As for the other question, when you installed the VCP Driver for the USB2SER it creates a Virtual COM Port.· Any application can talk to this port just like any other COM Port and send/receive data serially.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

·· As a side-note if you're already connected to your PC via the programming cable you can also communicate over that.· I'm not sure what your connection is, or if you require the USB, but that's another option you could consider.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • TumbleweedTumbleweed Posts: 45
    edited 2006-07-04 17:18
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your timely and quick reply.

I'm currently using the Board of Education to learn and go through the excercises, but when I do the project I'll be putting it all in a box. I'm trying to find the most economical and reliable way to communicate in realtime with the BS2 when it's in opperation.

It looks like the USB2SER might be my best bet right now.

Lance
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-07-04 17:21
    Lance,

·· Yes, that will work...I assume you're using a Serial BOE?· I have mounted a similar board (Super Carrier Board) along the side of the case so that the DB-9 was sticking out the side enough to get a cable on (through a cut-out).· If USB was needed you could also use an FTDI USB to Serial Adapter.· I guess I mention this because to use the USB2SER you need to make a physical connection to a 4-pin header, which, if inside a box may be a bit difficult.· It almost seems the serial method would be easier for you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-07-04 17:21
    ...of course I just found the PINK kit. That looks awesome!

Lance
    edited 2006-07-04 17:25
    I have the USB ver of the BOE.

For my lab, the Ethernet option is actually the best. I'm going to have a few dozen of these systems in operation when I'm done. I was a little worred about having a terminal for each, but the PINK kit would be an ideal solution for that.