Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX/B crashes after \File\Save As — Parallax Forums

SX/B crashes after \File\Save As

John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
edited 2006-07-12 14:13 in General Discussion
Hi Guys

I'm sure I've seen posts on this byt I can't find them when I search

my v3.1·version of SB/B crashes randomly, after I have used the File\Save As command.· This always catches me unaware and even thought I save often, I loose data and also I loose my train of thought.

It seems better if I have the application open twice. It seems to be worse if I have several files open in the one application.

... Or mabe this is an undocumented feature. It seems to occure after I have resolved a couple of·issues of the SX code. I loose the work and this means I have to remember how to redo·those bits of code thus reinforcing my leaning.

Kind Regards from Kwa Dukuza
John Bond

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-07-03 16:25
    John,
    Can you describe the EXACT steps that causes the problem. Also does the problem occur with ANY file ? If not then please attach the file that is causing the problem.
    I havn't heard of this program. Also what happens when it "crashes" ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess" The Red Green Show
    ·
  • John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
    edited 2006-07-04 07:15
    Hi Bean

I like to keep several versions of each code as I work with it. This means that if something goes wrong, I can go back several versions. I do this by using SaveAs XXXXXv9.SXB

Randomly between 20 seconds and 30 minutes later, the program vanishes. There is no trace of it in the task manager (and obviously all the additional work Ive done is also lost). It happens about 40% of the time after a SaveAs. It seems to happen 100% of the time if I use the SaveAs and then reopen the file I have just been working on. The program vanishes instantaiously. It happens with all SX/B files.

As I've said, it hasn't happened when I have several versions of SXKey openned at one time.

I usually have between one and three versions of SXBHelp openned (and I end up looking at the SXBHelp screen).

My PC is a 3.2GHz with 1Gig RAM. It's usually very stable.

You know, I'm going to reload the SXKey software tonight and see if that helps.

Kind regards
    John
  • LightfootLightfoot Posts: 228
    edited 2006-07-12 05:26
    Your page file set right?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Well well, I'm seeing things, three of them.

-Stanley Blystone
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-12 05:49
    Have you been able to resolve this problem?
    edited 2006-07-12 07:01
    No!!!

Reloaded the programme (program in American) and it still just quits. I have never played with the page file size since loading Windows on this machine. I'll check what page file is set to tonight.

The idiot fix is to open 2 versions similtaniously and that's working for me... or just don't use Save As. Sometimes I just accept the idiot fix because finding how to do it the right way takes too long.

Kind Regards from Kwa Dukuza

John Bond
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-12 10:51
    Sysinternals.com has some excellent tools that are great for system troubleshooting.

Here is an instruction sheet for using a few of the tools in this situation.
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-07-12 10:56
    John,

Just a thought - when you reloaded the software did you manually check and remove any program directories left over, and reboot before installing fresh.

Sounds like it may be a old/new dll type issue.
    The directories to remove (obviously check no data is there) would be the following (all of the SX key stuff) directories:
    "C:\Program Files\Parallax Inc\SX-Key v3.2"
    "C:\Program Files\Parallax Inc\SX-Key v3.1"
    etc'

Just a thought.

Cheers,

James
    edited 2006-07-12 14:13
    Thanks - That’s probably it. I have several versions of SX-Key installed (even mixed versions, 3.2 and 3.1) and I've only deleted and reloaded the main one.

I've created a control module that is customised by the user/installer. I was playing round with a program that loads a sub-program generated by Excel. The user/installer enters information in the spreadsheet which then creates a small SX/B file with a number of DATA lines, a few variables and two or three constants. The user/installer has all the features and power of a spreadsheet and can extract information from the company's SQL server (MRP/ERP, Stock Control) to load into this unit. This system including SX-Key is all contained on 1 CD. I had several goes at it and loaded the SX-Key in a number of directories as I went along. Oddly enough, I only worked on this idea on my home computer or off CD at work so the problem will only be on my home computer.

OK, so I’ve got some housekeeping to do on my PC this weekend.

Thanks again on this bright and sunny winter’s day in Darkest Africa (Whoever called this continent the has the most sunshine in the world "Darkest" got it verrry wronggg!)
    John Bond