Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Checking Time — Parallax Forums

Checking Time

KatyBriKatyBri Posts: 171
edited 2006-07-04 03:53 in BASIC Stamp
I need to check the time (hours, min, sec for military 24-hour format) or (hours, min, sec, AM/PM 12-hour format) from a STAMP BS2. Can this be done in BS2 code or does an external chip need to be used. If an external clock chip is needed, what are the options? Thanks.

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-07-02 03:52
    KB,

The STAMP doesn't have an internal time clock as such.· There are options.· One is a DS1302 IC, sold by www.parallax.com·.· Another is·the "Pocket Watch"-B from www.solutions-cubed.com·.·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-07-03 05:56
    Hello,

·· There just happens to be an example schematic and code for using the DS1302 with the BS2 at the following links.· Both 12-hour and 24-hour (military) formats are supported.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=531080

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=552892

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • TiboTibo Posts: 81
    edited 2006-07-03 17:01
    Hi, you can also interface with a GPS device.
    ++
  • KatyBriKatyBri Posts: 171
    edited 2006-07-04 02:34
    Thanks for the options. I decided to go with a "Pocket Watch"-B module and have one ordered from DigiKey (Parallax was backordered).

The schematic for the DS 1302 IC shows a backup Super Cap or NiCad battery. I did not see any such back-up devices mentioned in the "Pocket Watch"-B module's data sheet.

Is power backup built into the "Pocket Watch"-B module? Do you have to add it? If so, how?

Thanks
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-07-04 03:52
    The PWB does not have such a facility and implementing it would be a little different.· It really depends on how you are powering the unit.· I prefer the DS1302 for this reason...In 90% of RTC projects I need battery backup of something.· There are several circuits posted recently for battery backup systems and one of those could be used in your PWB system.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-07-04 03:53
    The PocketWatch-B doesn't have abattery back-up (as the DS1302.)· You'd have to devise your own, maybe a "super cap" could be used to keep it running during brief interruptions.

The PocketWatch-B uses asynch. serial interface and it's, to me, a lot easier to deal with, but the DS1302 has the battery-backup at the ready.