Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robocup Junior — Parallax Forums

Robocup Junior

TalentsCenterTalentsCenter Posts: 2
edited 2006-12-14 07:22 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Greetings all, this is my first post ever for the forum.· Thanks in advance! (Actually it is my second, I was asked to move this question to this area as most educators do their discussions over here)
Next year will be their first time to participate in Robocup Secondary level where they will build a robot that will play soccer autonomously; I think you have heard of it.· Do you know what other schools use for this competition?, Can you recommend a full program that would cover electronics, mechanics and programming for the purpose of Robocup Jr.?

Thanks again,
Saeed A. Saeed
Founder and owner of www.TalentsCenter.com

Comments

• willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-07-21 03:22
    Try buying the Robotics with the Boebot kit, or even download the book, this uses IR receivers and LEDs to control Navigation.
  • Donald BurchDonald Burch Posts: 4
    edited 2006-08-13 02:55
    I just went to the Sydney Australia RoboCup Junior competition on Thursday, and only noticed 2 bots that did not use the Lego RCX brick, though quite a few were attached to non-lego chassis. However this is probably because Lego in Australia have done a good job of marketing to our schools; whereas the few other robotics distributors here are more focussed on industrial robotics market, or don't have the resources to promote to all schools.

FWIW, I thought the lego bots were too physically small for the "dance" competition (judges and audience should have been issued binoculars), were appropriate for the "rescue" (Line folllowing), but were too flimsy for the "Soccer" comp with parts faling off. Soccer was where the non-RCX bots were, probably to provide for more sensors and motors than even dual RCX's can provide.

Personally I think Lego is great for primary schools and as toys at home, giving quick results and building enthusiasm quickly - but I believe students will learn much more from a BS2/BoE and the excellent SIC courses ... and that is why I personally decided to skip the toy and start with BS2 BoE to learn electronics and programming as preparation for building my own robot.

Post Edited (Donald Burch) : 8/13/2006 6:27:52 AM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-08-13 13:38
    Lego Mindstorms is great for prototyping, because you can build your platform very quickly, and modify it very quickly. It does have a weakness for 'real' applications, because you're limited by the strength of the plastic. That, and that you can only have three sensors, and three motors.

Otherwise, the Hitachi H8 based, multi-tasking, 32 KByte 'brick' (including an LCD display, and IR communication for programming) is a surprisingly robust platform.

Lego is releasing an upgraded version in August or September.
  • blivixblivix Posts: 1
    edited 2006-12-14 07:22
    Hi

Just wondering what the fastest time you no of in the rescue category on the standard course. (the one with australia on it)