Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where is the program stored in a BS2? — Parallax Forums

Where is the program stored in a BS2?

RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
edited 2006-07-03 05:52 in BASIC Stamp
If I have a BS2 (OEM version) and I load a program into it, is the program only in the eeprom or is part of it in the interpreter chip?

In other words, for a project where there will be multiple copies and only the interpreter chip (the PIC16C57), the eeprom, and the resonator are needed on the board, can I just program multiple copies of the eeprom?

I suppose I could just try it and see, but currently I only have 1 of the PICs.

- Rick

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-07-01 10:13
    The program is stored on the EEPROM chip. You can program multiple copies of the EEPROM for production.
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-07-01 18:38
    I use a BS2 OEM to program EEPROMs which I've then moved to a breadboarded BS2IC-DIP (the 28pin DIP version). This lets me build the breadboard-based BS2 circuit without to build the serial programming interface (the transistor/resistor/cap circuit adjacent to the DB9 connector on the BS2 OEM).

This will let you prototype your design with the BS2 OEM and when all is finalized, build the BS2IC-DIP based project WITHOUT a serial programming interface, and just move programmed EEPROMs from the BS2 OEM to the project board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-07-01 22:31
    Okay, thanks guys. Thats what I thought but I wanted to be sure.
    It'll save me from putting a ZIF socket on my BS2 oem board.

- Rick
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-07-03 05:52
    aalegado said...(trimmed)
    This will let you prototype your design with the BS2 OEM and when all is finalized, build the BS2IC-DIP based project WITHOUT a serial programming interface, and just move programmed EEPROMs from the BS2 OEM to the project board.
    As a note, using the schematics at the following link you could build a version that instead has a 4-pin header and can be programmed via USB.· Just a thought.· At least you would still be able to try code changes immediately and you still don't need all those parts, just a USB2SER.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=567989

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com