Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hyperterminal loopback test — Parallax Forums

Hyperterminal loopback test

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-06-30 15:32 in BASIC Stamp
I wanted to verify that I could use a higher baud rate with my computer and hyperterminal as I have a BS24px.
I have an ASUS computer with WindowsXP.

I cannot seem to find a way to get the loopback to function properly.· I Googled a proceedure that calls for a configuration of 'Direct to Com1', but I cannot locate that as a menu choice.

Can anyone who has sucessfully done this advise me?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-06-29 11:46
    If you make your own "dongle", with pin2 jumpered to pin3, will this not suffice?· Loopback test: whatever is typed in (sent out)·is received back.·

Y / N ?
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2006-06-29 14:03
    Kramer,

As you configure Hyperterminal, you can make a choice for "handshaking" or "flow control". Make sure its set for "none" otherwise the Hyperterminal will either expect RTS and CTS to be joined on the connector, or will expect a software "ok to send" signal in the data string.

The "Direct to Com1" is sometimes just "COM1" on the newer versions.

Cheers
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-06-29 14:35
    Thanks to all,
    The 'dongle' has been already made and in place, but not working due to apparent software complexities.
    Handshaking is all off [noparse][[/noparse]aka 'none'].
    I will recheck my dongle for continuity.

I guess I can stop looking for a way to get 'Direct to Com1' and just accept that 'Com1' is it.

I have tried Hyperterminal and another software called Terminal.
    I begin to wonder if this is a Half-duplex versus Full-duplex issue OR if there is some hidden buffer OR some BIOS issue.
    I am not using USB, just the generic RS-232 Com1 on the motherboard.

Also, I am about to make a more complex loopback dongle [noparse][[/noparse]including all the handshaking signals] so that I can run future diagnostics.

Seems to me that having a loopback dongle provides the ideal trainer mode for Hyperterminal as you don't have to ponder if another device is contribuitng to difficulties.

Terminal is nice friendly software because it has a Sent Window and a Recieved Window. It allows for more adjustments than Hyperterminal and is a free download.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-06-30 15:32
    For whomever needs clarity.
    I have tested my Loopback at 256,000 baud and all is well.

Just connecting Pin 2 and 3 did not create a proper hardware set up for a Loopback Test.

I created another 'dongle' [noparse][[/noparse]test plug] that uses 8 of the DB9's nine lines -- only line 5 was omited.

Pin 2 to Pin 3
    Pin 8 to Pin 7
    Pin 1 to Pin 6 to Pin 4 to Pin 9

This one works fine and I did NOT locate any software issues, BIOs issues, or half-duplex versus full-duplex issues.
    Seems to be a purely hardware problem of not having something in the Pin1/Pin 6/Pin 4/Pin 9 hooked up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔