Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp light meter — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp light meter

RongRong Posts: 25
edited 2006-06-30 16:45 in BASIC Stamp
I am working my way through the "What's a Microcontroller?" workbook with a Homework Board. I am looking forward to moving on to building on of the several Boebot kits I have here. I have gotten to the project where I build a light meter that causes the seven segment LED to race in a circle at a speed that is proportional to the amount of light received. My problem is that I like watching this device so much I have gone through about 5 nine volt batteries and just let it run all day long. I can't bear to disassemble it! How can I move on with such a neat toy sitting next to my laptop while I surf around? Am I going to have to buy a basic stamp and LED with a 9 volt wall wart just so I can build this into some nifty case? It has been keeping me company for a week so far...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ron Giuntini

San Francisco

Comments

• willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-06-29 05:59
    yea although i find that amusing that your that crazy about it, i would venture to say that you should possibly just run it into a reliable 9 volt power source?
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-06-29 06:09
    Get the RadioShack adapter recommended in the "What's a Microcontroller" manual.

It's RadioShack catalog number 273-1761, 6VDc, 800mA.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-06-29 12:28
    It's that or, if in sunlight, get a solar panel and set THAT up! [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • RongRong Posts: 25
    edited 2006-06-30 00:56
    Oh, I should have mentioned. I have a crate (literally) of nine volt batteries that were getting thrown out at work. It is not a problem going through batteries. It is a problem considering dismantling this cute little circuit. Sort of like a little robot friend next to my laptop. But I have six boebots waiting construction that I acquired very reasonably, that my son and I have to bring to life this summer.
    Ron

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ron Giuntini

San Francisco
  • kingspudkingspud Posts: 128
    edited 2006-06-30 06:30
    Can you give us a picture of your "cute little circuit"?????

I would love to see it and even build one myself!!

Joe
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-06-30 07:26
    I know exactly how you feel...sometimes a circuit grows on you. That's one reason I have a bunch of small breadboards so I can build a circuit and leave it connected for a long time without hurting for breadboard space...

One problem with keeping a circuit assembled for a long time (cheap and plentiful breadboards, notwithstanding) is that it ties up your BS2IC. A $50 Stamp running a lightshow is an awful waste...but for about $20 ($11 for a BS2IC DIP, $5 for a 2KB EEPROM, $2.50 for a 20MHz resonator and a little left over for miscellaneous resistors, caps, etc) you can build a dedicated BS2-based circuit that will happily and economically drive that LED lightshow of yours. tongue.gif

The only "gotcha" is that you have to be able to program the EEPROM. I bought a BS2 OEM kit (www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/basicstamps/basic_stamps_oem.asp) for this purpose: The BS2 OEM kit allows me to develop the circuit (I plug the BS2 OEM into a breadboard and build the circuits onto the breadboard) and finalize the program. Once the final program is in EEPROM, I move the EEPROM into the waiting circuit that includes the DIP-version of the BS2IC and a socket for the EEPROM. Each BS2-based project starts with the basic expense of $20 for the discrete parts plus whatever the rest of the circuitry costs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...

Post Edited (aalegado) : 6/30/2006 7:50:23 AM GMT
  • RongRong Posts: 25
    edited 2006-06-30 15:24
    The circuit is on page 206 of "What's a Microcontroller?". But I am getting ready to move on. I have had this one going for a week...Time to turn the pages...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ron Giuntini

San Francisco
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2006-06-30 16:45
    When anything is that fascinating to you and your son, that is a good opportunity to tinker with the ideas behind it. Vary the program to make the light pattern dance to a new tune! That sort of experimentation around one idea can be a great self-directed learning experience. Don't turn the page yet!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com