Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interface the BS2 with a parallel port instead of serial? — Parallax Forums

Interface the BS2 with a parallel port instead of serial?

EmissionEmission Posts: 15
edited 2006-06-30 00:36 in BASIC Stamp
I'd like to know how I can direct the BS2 programming program to look for the BS2 on the Parallel port instead of the serial ports. Is there any sort of software based emulation that can help? I looked all over google and didn't find anything that can help. USB to Serial is out of the question because im not gonna buy anything.

Comments

• willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-06-28 01:38
    you bought the microcontroller didnt you? ebay has serial wires for 5 bucks, or the Serial to USB for 9 shipped....
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-06-28 01:38
    Hello,

·· It would be impossible to program the BASIC Stamp 2 from the Parallel Port unless you wrote your own IDE.· The BASIC Stamp Editor we produce will only access a serial port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • EmissionEmission Posts: 15
    edited 2006-06-28 01:41
    How about a serial port emulator software? Like, something that makes the LPT1 port look like a COM1 port (Parallel to Serial). And, couple things, whats a IDE? And how would I go about writing my own. Thanks.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-06-28 03:19
    IDE = Integrated Development Environment. The Basic Stamp Tokenizer and info about writing your own IDE is here www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/tokenizer/tokenizer.asp
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-06-28 05:27
    You can run an emulator if you want, but I am certain the timing problems would prevent it from working as expected.· If you read the Tokenizer documentation you will see that there are some specific events that take place during programming or reset, with some specific timing.· Emulation would no doubt cause problems.· Remember, not even all USB to Serial Adapters work, and most wireless serial interfaces (wireless serial cables).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-29 01:52
    Have there been any edited tokenizer libraries already created that are set to interface to parallel instead? I'm trying to edit the tokenizer.dll and frankly, im lost. cry.gif
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-06-29 04:01
    Did you read the docs that accompany the Basic Stamp Tokenizer library? The tokenizer library is designed to be accessed from C. If you're not an experienced C programmer - then you can save a few months of learning and programming time by investing $25 in a FTDI USB to Serial converter and using the Parallax Stamp IDE.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-06-29 05:23
    Emission -

If this is a desktop computer, you can purchase a serial port board for probably less than $10.00 or so, and stop pulling your hair out. Just a thought.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-06-30 00:36
    I figured that I could use a COM port from my Pentium II Terminal Server, now im happy lol.gif