Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone ever use the Radioshack infrared emitter and detector LEDs with BasicSta — Parallax Forums

Anyone ever use the Radioshack infrared emitter and detector LEDs with BasicSta

kingspudkingspud Posts: 128
edited 2006-07-18 06:18 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to use these LEDs in a Basic stamp project?

I don't knwo how they work and I am lost of how to set them up!!!

The package is the Infrared Emitter and Detector LED's from Radioshack #276-142

I am looking for any BS2 code and wiring hookup for use with the Basic stamp 2.

It doesn't have to be anything crazy just code to show how they would work with the BS2 and how they are wired.· I can't find anything on the net and I can't find any setups for these two LED to work together.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-06-27 18:54
  • kingspudkingspud Posts: 128
    edited 2006-06-29 17:27
    The Emitter and Detector I have, both have two connectors! Not three as dicussed in the submitted forums.

Has anyone used these specific devices in a Basic Stamp project??

The two forum leads were very confusing and I just need some code and hookup for these two specific LEDS!

Thanks

Joe
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-06-29 23:42
    Those are just an infrared LED and a phototransistor.

The LED sends out infrared light when it's two leads are connected to power and ground.

The phototransistor will switch on (conduct) between it's two leads if enough IR light hits it.

This kind of setup will be prone to noise and much false triggering if there is no modulation of the LED light and no corresponding filtering (electronic) at the phototransistor receiver.

- Rick
    edited 2006-06-30 06:14
    So I take that these would be bad to use in a Basic Stamp project?
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2006-06-30 06:23
    "bad" is a relative term here. It really depends on what your application requires that warrants a decision for a good or bad component choice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-06-30 10:49
    I guess I was assuming you wanted to use them as a proximity detector on a robot. There are certainly other things they could be used for.

If you do want to use them as a proximity detector, they might still be okay if only used indoors and the sensitivity on the transistor was set to where it would ignore lower levels of random ir.

To make a better proximity detector, it is very easy to modulate the ir LED, all you need is a 555 timer chip, a few resistors and a capacitor or two. For a detector, you could build a circuit to filter the signal from the phototransistor, but it would be much easier and simpler to use a dedicated demodulator like the Panasonic 4602. They're pretty cheap. and easy to find.

Google for "infrared proximity detector" and "panasonic 4602", (use the quotes) and you will find tons of great info.

- Rick
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-06-30 15:46
    It situation is not that it is a 'bad' Stamp project.
    I have a few of each.
    These just require an increase in the number of components to do the same job. For many of us that are trying to crowd things on a BOEbot, having one small component do the job of several is a liberation.

On the other hand, you can substantially change the reciever's modulation filter [noparse][[/noparse]while others cannot]. This might come in handy if you have several IR communicatin devices as each would be on a separate channel. As it is, 38,250 Hz seems to be the default frequency and it may get crowded if you were in a room full of devices.

Without modulation, many have noted the hum from fluorecent lights can can set up quite a bit of IR interferance. Obviously, there are other troublesome sources to be discovered unless it is merely doing line following [noparse][[/noparse]noise is shielded out].

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2006-06-30 16:48
    Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all the info!

I will see if I can find some circuits using the 555 chip or just use the Panasonic 4602!

Once again thanks!

Joe
    edited 2006-07-18 06:18
    *****UPDATE*****

After doing some research on the Parallax web site I found the following information that covers the·package·consisting of the Infrared Emitter and Detector LED's from Radioshack #276-142

In The QTI Line follower AppKit for the Boe-Bot Document (#28108)

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/robo/QTILineFollow.pdf

On page 2 of 6 in the lower right corner you will find the wiring diagram to setup these LEDs on a breadboard!!

And there is·code also to test it!!

I set it up and it worked great!!