Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HUD for a car — Parallax Forums

HUD for a car

RobbanRobban Posts: 124
edited 2006-06-29 01:33 in BASIC Stamp
i think i better write in english...

i am planning to create a Head-Up display for my car and want the display to be on the windshield...

I am planning to use a basic stamp for the data collektion such as speed,rpm,distance in reverse etc etc..

does anybody have any tips and tricks? please tell me

Robert

Post Edited By Moderator (Ryan Clarke (Parallax)) : 6/27/2006 4:07:56 PM GMT

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-06-26 20:58
    Hmm. There's several difficulties with this project.

1. People don't have "head-up-displays" in their cars now. It might be a distraction.

2. Jet fighters, which DO have "heads-up-displays", don't actually project them on
    the windshield, but instead on a flat, slanted piece of plastic in front of the pilot.
    While you COULD mount such a piece of plastic in your car, it might take some cutting.

3. You can't really display something "on the windshield" -- it's curved, for one thing,
    so distortion will be a problem. And it's glass, and clear. I don't think that's what's used
    for a 'normal' heads-up-display.

4. Any 'projector' for displaying the heads-up-display will have to be in your
    speedometer console. More cutting. More moving things around.

5. I'm not sure it's legal to put something 'distracting' in the middle of your field
    of view of your windshield.

However, I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying, you probably need to take these
    things into account.

Oh, and 6. Since I don't think anybody's done this, there may not be any tips and
    tricks already developed for it.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-06-26 22:11
    Actually, there ARE cars with head up displays...

Here's one article...
    http://www.autospectator.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4171

And yes, they DO project directly on the windshield. Yes, it's curved, but not as extremely as in a plane, and really, in a car, where you don't plot trajectories, does it matter?

And here's one about the Mercedes 'Night View Technology'
    http://blogs.active.com/alv/2006/02/night-view-technology-new-mercedes.html

As for distracting, how long do you take your eyes away from the road every time you check the speed, engine temp, or the warning lights?
    Move your eyes down, locate the needle, read out the number next to it, process the numbers, move your sight up and on the road again...
    The best car I ever drove regarding to this was my old Citro
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-06-27 02:01
    There've been several cars that have shipped with limited heads-up displays over the years...it's nothing new but neither is it very common. It's definitely legal when done right.

As for not being able to display an image on a windshield because it's curved...well, that's plainly not true. On a sunny day and if you're seated just right, you can see a portion of the dashboard reflected up through the bottom of the windshield. The fact that you can see it is because the light passing through the windshield from outside is reflecting off of the dashboard and back up into the windshield where a portion of the light is reflected back inside and the remaining light passing through the windshield. At the right viewing angle, you will see that reflected light and therefore, that brightly lit part of the dashboard. The windshield is curved, yes, but that doesn't affect it's ability to reflect light (which is a function of the refractive index of the material which is present regardless of the shape of the material)...you just have to be at an angle to see the reflection.

With a very curved windshield, the reflection may not be visible due to your seating position but you can change that by coating the windshield with a clear substance with a carefully choosen refractive index. The same principle is used to allow thin plastic lenses to do the job that used to require thick glass lenses (it's not the thickness of the material but the refractive index of the material...all the work happens at the air-to-material interface). The plastic by itself my not have a high enough refractive index to achieve the desired correction but the optical coating can be choosen to reinforce the plastic's refraction to the point where it does.

If you were to coat just a portion of a windshield with the right optical coating, that area would reflect light at a different angle than the uncoated surface which makes a heads-up display on a car windshield possible. A friend in college had a Nissan 240SX (mid-90's) that displayed the speed on a small "patch" of the windshield. The digits actually appeared to be "inside" the glass implying that the patch of reflective material/coating was inside the glass (possible if the coating was actually a laminate within the windshield itself).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...

Post Edited (aalegado) : 6/27/2006 2:38:17 AM GMT
  • bennettdanbennettdan Posts: 614
    edited 2006-06-27 02:19
    You can use the HUD out of a wrecked Corvette, Caddilac car or SUV, they actually have a IR camera that takes a picture of the road then displays the image on the windsheild. They have websights that have hacked them to also include Speed, RPM and other things.The HUD are stand alone systems and can be adjusted to different windsheilds. If you want to make your own LED display you will have to make the digits reverse so they will be read from the windsheild correctly. Here is a HUD for a motorcycle it might help.
    http://www.radarbusters.com/support/speedlabs-2005/sportvue.asp

Post Edited (bennettdan) : 6/27/2006 2:26:11 AM GMT
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2006-06-27 02:25
    "You can use the HUD out of a wrecked Corvette, Cadillac car or SUV..."

That statement should pretty much just say it all. I think that a HUD display for vehicles would be more popular if there wasn't an obvious danger associated to them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-06-27 02:35
    I drove a few Caddilac cars with HUD I did not find it to be a distraction but people have wrecks whiloe using cell phones you have to keep your mind on the road. Keep it safe I might be driving close to you one day...
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-06-27 02:39
    Just because a car is wrecked doesn't mean that the HUD was the cause. The HUD, like everything else in the car is along for the ride. There are lots more things that cause accidents like the distraction of using a cell phone, listening to the radio, inattentive driving, the list goes on.

Adoption rates would go up if the option was less costly OR if it was a standard feature (which would basically mean adoption is 100%). ABS (anti-lock brakes) used to be an option available only on expensive cars but now it's standard on many cars and since its cost is built into the car, people don't think of it as something to add or remove, it's just there.

We should probably move this thread to The Sandbox. burger.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...

Post Edited (aalegado) : 6/27/2006 2:47:56 AM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-06-27 15:20
    Very cool! I stand corrected.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2006-06-27 16:47
    bennettdan and aalegado,

Agreed, but there is a certain maturity level and responsibility associated with driving that all too often is neglected. All I am stressing is to be careful, and use common sense.

If you are "testing" something on a car, bike, or whatever it is human nature to completely focus on the new toy or gadget and forget about the road. This is especially true if
    it is something you have created yourself. The human nature side of this is something you can't avoid, so be careful!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-06-27 18:41
    Hi Robban,

there are a couple of routes to go for the data you'd need.
    Some guys build their own sensor systems and tie in to the existing cabling....if you have a new-ish car, it will probably have OBD2 (although, it's obvious that English is your 2nd language....so I'm not sure where you're from)....

What kind of car are you looking to use?

There are IC's out there that will allow a stamp to talk to the car and retrieve information from it (temperature/speed/rpm/trouble codes/etc...)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • RobbanRobban Posts: 124
    edited 2006-06-27 19:25
    i´m from sweden.

have a Saab 93 from 2000
    with the SID 2 "carcomputer"

what kind of ic:s?
    edited 2006-06-27 20:53
    I agree with you Beau it should be tested in a remote location amean about testing yout best. I know what you mean about testing in a car. Having an extra pair of eyes during testing never hurts. PLEASE BE CAREFULL
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-06-27 21:19
    I'm not familiar with the SID 2 'carcomputer'
    Over here we have On Board Diagnostics 2 (OBDII)....the newer vehicles to come out will feature CANbus.

You should do some searching for some DYI groups in Europe that may have interfaced to their cars already.
    There's certainly a lot of aftermarket gear that plugs in to the cars' computers (for programming and monitoring) I'm sure that market isn't limited to Asia and North America....but maybe...don't know!

I can't tell you what IC's to look for, cuz I don't know what type of system is in your car.
    Do some googling and see what you can find out!

cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-06-28 15:25
    http://www.partsforsaabs.com/popup_large_image.php?pID=1998

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2006-06-29 01:33
    this is going to be sloppy!

Take a Vacuum Florescent Display from parallax,
    the LCD character generator to make right to left versions of text so the text/graphics appear correctly in the reflection

write your code for whatever
    lay the VFD face up on the dash
    place a small piece of not so dark window tint on the reflection
    plug it all in
    drive and enjoy

Oh and all that has to be done is google "HUD" and you can see how many have tried this before
    a good (and cheap) scource for the factory versions is early '90's buick's, ~'89 Pontiac Grand Prix

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"