Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"No BASIC Stamps found." :( — Parallax Forums

"No BASIC Stamps found." :(

Sellam IsmailSellam Ismail Posts: 5
edited 2006-06-28 05:28 in BASIC Stamp
I'm sure we've all gone over this a million times but I'm hoping maybe there's a simple fix for this.

I tried compiling a test program for my BoE BS2 and got the "No BASIC Stamps found." error.

Loopback and Echo show Yes in the status window.

I double-checked the board and cable: everything is proper. I've got a 6V 300mA power supply plugged into the BoE. The green LED is on. I also tried with a battery but get the same result. I've verified that there is voltage to the BS2 (4.96V on Vcc).

I checked my COM1 port configuration: it's set for 8N1 with hardware flow control (I don't believe the baud rate matters but for the record I have it at 115200). I've tried it with software flow control with the same results.

Yes, I'm using a real, honest-to-Gawd serial port on a laptop. I verified that it's properly configured and enabled in the BIOS: it is.

I installed a serial port monitor (Free Serial Port Monitor by HHD Software => http://www.serial-port-monitor.com/) and I see data going to the BS2 but no data coming back. The editor is apparently trying to send the byte stream 00 42 00 65 00 58 00 50 00 49 00 54 (BeXPIT).

I used Hyperterm with a null modem adaptor and a bridge wire from Rx<->Tx to verify physical loopback out the serial port: characters get echoed back properly.

I downloaded and installed the latest editor from the Parallax website (v2.2.5).

I'm running Windows XP v2002 with SP2.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
roll.gif

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-06-26 18:24
    Hello,

·· The most common problem with laptops using serial ports is the on-board FIFO buffers.· Have you tried disabling them in your Advanced Port Properties in the Device Manager?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Sellam IsmailSellam Ismail Posts: 5
    edited 2006-06-26 18:29
    Dang, I thought I'd covered all the informational bases in my message [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Yes, I did try disabling the FIFO queues but that didn't help.

I'm trying to think if there's anything else I've tried but I think that covers everything.

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully I can still get this to work.

freaked.gif
    edited 2006-06-26 18:34
    Hello,

·· Are you sure you unchecked the box labeled, "Use FIFO Buffers?"· Changing the sliders won't help in most cases, and also be sure you affected the COM Port that the BASIC Stamp is connected to.· Also, do you have any kind of adapter inline with the cable?· Are you using a straight-through serial cable?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-26 18:45
    Yes, I unchecked the "Use FIFO Buffers?" checkbox. Yes, I'm working on COM1. There are no other cables or adapters involved here beyond the cable I got with the BoE kit. I'll see if I can find another cable to try.

In the meantime, I installed the editor on my desktop machine and am having the same problems. Unless a cable change fixes anything, I'll assume the BS2 is bad(?)

Thanks!
    edited 2006-06-26 18:47
    Well, all BASIC Stamps are fully tested prior to shipping, but you can call us directly and request an RMA to have it sent in for testing.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-26 18:55
    I tried a different cable but still no sign of life [noparse]:([/noparse] Oh well.

Chris, thanks for the quick responses.
  • Husky X3Husky X3 Posts: 18
    edited 2006-06-28 02:28
    hey there...

sometimes you have to change the COM Port . I had a fine time....once i changed the Port setting. Also, some laptops not allow you to download even if you do change the FIFO buffers.
    edited 2006-06-28 05:28
    Actually, it was the BASIC Stamp chip itself, as I'd guessed. I bought a new one today and stuck it in my BoE and I was able to upload my test program.

As Chris suggested, I'll send mine in for repair.

Thanks!

turn.gif