Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
using basic stamp to control 36 individial bits — Parallax Forums

using basic stamp to control 36 individial bits

neilhneilh Posts: 1
edited 2006-06-24 00:39 in BASIC Stamp
hi i would like to know if there is a way of setting a basic stamp (any model) to control 36 bits from 8 bits coming out of the basic stamp. i have an old peice of test equipment that the switches are worn out. i would like to control the bits by using a basic stamp and a display. i want to bypass switches and switch them electricly. i would need a schematic i have opto isloltors in place of the switches.

thanks neil

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-06-24 00:19
    There are lots of ways to add extra outputs to a Stamp. There are nice serial in / parallel out 8 bit registers like the 74HCT595. The SHIFTOUT commands in most Stamps can transfer data easily and several registers can share serial data pins. Each register would need a serial clock pin and they could all share the clock to transfer the shift data to the parallel output registers. That would come to 1-serial data, 1-transfer to parallel, 5-serial clocks, 1-master clear = 8 pins for 40 output bits. If you're using a Stamp without the SHIFTOUT command, you can easily do it with HIGH / LOW or PULSOUT commands for the clock pulse and the regular bit and shift operators to do the shifting of the data.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-06-24 00:39