Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller's Hydra Game System Picture — Parallax Forums

Propeller's Hydra Game System Picture

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2006-07-29 12:11 in Propeller 1
Hello -

Been quite a while since we've discussed the Hydra game system. The educational tutorial for Hydra is nearly complete. Stephanie is deep into the editing. The electronics have also been sent to production. We should have these kits ready for sale by August. Below is a picture of the board we are producing. Andre' LaMothe has really worked hard to finish this project. When he visits Parallax he usually hasn't slept in several days. Still trying to figure out·how he stays awake for more than a day or two. . .

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

·attachment.php?attachmentid=42182
1200 x 800 - 197K

Comments

• DeveloperZeroDeveloperZero Posts: 15
    edited 2006-06-23 10:50
    That thing is a piece of beauty. I can't wait to see what comes of it.

What kind of price point are you looking at for it?
    (Assembled/Built?)
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-06-23 13:46
    Sweet...
    Between this and the routine's he's created... it's one heck of a mini system...
    But, as always... I to must wait for the price...
    Do you think they'll sell just the manual / software ? His coding is awesom, and could lead to other things.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2006-06-23 14:56
    Awesome!

This sounds like it would be a fun system to do tutorials and learning on. Was it difficult to source the Nintendo connectors? I like that you include a game card concept. This whole system sounds like the perfect gift for someone who wants to do/learn/experiment with their own embedded game programming.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark is all it takes for an idea to explode
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-06-23 15:22
    We're aiming for under $200, but it's going to be really tough to do that this time. Worse case: $249. Best case: $199.

Not available as individual kit pieces, though the manual and software will be downloadable. You could actually run these projects on the Propeller Demo Board with some modifications to pin assignments and the addition of a game controller.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • jammajamma Posts: 33
    edited 2006-06-23 17:00
    Wasn't there talk of the Hydra having quad props?
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-06-23 17:09
    Ken:
    Downloadable manual and software is the key! This is awesom... I might not be able to get one for some time, but I sure as all can learn from how the code is put together!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-06-24 01:06
    The book that comes with the hydra "Game programming for the Propeller Powered Hydra" and all the source is of course only available with purchase of the hydra kit. If we decide to sell the book a seperate product as well (highly probable) then you would get the book and sources with that. I think what ken is referring to here is that there will be "sample" code and maybe a sample chapter from the book made available for download. The book is a HUGE amount of work as are the sources (60 man months), so they are part of the "value" of getting the Hydra kit or book seperately.

However, I think the Parallax Propeller manual is completely free and downloadable.

As far as the 4 processors on the hydra, this was a concept I am working with for the Hydra 2, but first we need to see how the hydra 1 goes before I start on actually designing and building the Hydra 2 [noparse]:)[/noparse] So when the Hydra comes out everyone buy 10, that will motivate me to make the Hydra 2!

Andre'
    Designer of the Hydra
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2006-06-24 14:33
    Well, that answers the question i had. Did you have to "rewrite" the prop chip to accept the 128K EEPROM? I know this isn't very feasable with the BS2 since the MPU on the BS2's were burned from parallax with a fixed external EE memory of 32K (I believe that was the size). Is there a way to include a lil snip of asembly code in the onboard EE of the prop chip to check the external EE size and report it back to the IDE (somethinig similar to the memory map in the Basic stamps IDE) ? Are there limits to the external address size on EE ? I have an unamed scource (probably the same scource thst you guys use) for obtaining parts like EE and other semi's. I was thinking of buying a prop chip (DIP), and 256 or a 512 EE(DIP) to make my own demo board. Does this sound feasable or am i just a retard?

Mike
    EEE (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible!"
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-06-24 14:40
    The Propellor uses the first 32K of whatever EEPROM is attached to it. Neither the Propellor nor the IDE knows anything about additional memory that may be included. You are free to write I2C routines (or use existing ones in the object library) to access any additional memory and I assume that is what the Hydra does.
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2006-07-18 03:28
    I am curious, you have a USB port onit and you have a USB2SER ostensibly both for programming, why? Isn't that arther redundant?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    See the K107 Serial LCD Controller at
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-07-18 14:54
    Brian Riley said...
    I am curious, you have a USB port onit and you have a USB2SER ostensibly both for programming, why? Isn't that arther redundant?

I think one is for people who use the Serial Port to program and the other is for people who use the USB port.
    Some people have already built Serial to Propeller adapters and rather use them then the USB. Others like myself have the demo board and like using USB.
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-07-18 15:09
    I'm not sure what the pins are, but you could also hook both up to the same computer and use a terminal program to look at the serial ouput while still programming the Prop. I now have both on my homebrew board, but haven't tried hyperterminal yet...

-Parsko
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-07-18 18:00
    burger.gif·DROOL............................................................· just so itty-bitty incredible tech.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 7/18/2006 6:04:21 PM GMT
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2006-07-19 03:16
    Ym2413a said...
    Brian Riley said...

I think one is for people who use the Serial Port to program and the other is for people who use the USB port.
    Some people have already built Serial to Propeller adapters and rather use them then the USB. Others like myself have the demo board and like using USB.

USB2SER (parallax p/n 28024) is a specifically different device than the USB to Serial adapter(a.k.a. USB-RS232 - parallax p/n 800-00030 - which apparently has very recently been discontinued by parallax and/or ftdi). It is a small board with a 4 pin socket header on one end and a Mini-B USB female on the other. It would seem to be redundant to have the 4 pin USB2SER port on there when the circuitry that is on the USB2SER device seems to be already on the Hydra board, unless there is something different about one or the other.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    See the K107 Serial LCD Controller at
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-07-29 12:11
    Chip,
    August is upon us.
    Any news about the Hydra project?