Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller data sheet/book — Parallax Forums

Propeller data sheet/book

HarleyHarley Posts: 997
edited 2006-06-24 12:55 in Propeller 1
I looked at the Parallax web site and on this forum but found no reference to any data sheet on the Propeller IC. I would have expected one since the IC is being sold.

Is a data sheet available? Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• DeveloperZeroDeveloperZero Posts: 15
    edited 2006-06-23 00:32
    What is available of the data sheet is in Chapter 1. Since the chip is still kinda beta, there really isn't a data sheet available just yet. Everything that is available so far is the manual Chapters 1, 2 and 4, which should be enough to get started.

Chapter 1 describes the hardware.
    Chapter 2 describes the IDE.
    Chapter 3 (coming soon) describes how to program the propeller. This is available in a very rough form throughout the "SPIN CODE EXAMPLES FOR THE BEGINNER (Public Version)" thread at the top of the forum topics list.
    Chapter 4 is the Spin Reference.
    Chapter 5 (coming soon) is the assembly reference. This is available in the assembly examples (I'm not really sure where, but I have heard of them numerous times; does anyone know where they are specifically?)

I hope this has been helpful. If you have any other questions that aren't answered, feel free to ask. That is what this forum is here for. You can also browse through the forum (although it is going on 20 pages at 25 topics/page)
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-06-23 18:13
    Thanks for the information.

That's the 'what' I was looking for, but can't seem to locate the 'where' or 'how' to get there. Searched for 'chapter' but found nothing helpful. Couldn't find anything via Download or Resources on the Parallax web page.

Maybe I need to plow through the 20 x 25 topics to locate the chapters 1, 2, 4. 'Coming soon' means don't hold one's breath for 3 and 5. Maybe I can finish my present project by time they are ready. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-06-23 18:15
    Are you looking for this?

http://www.parallax.com/propeller/downloads.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark is all it takes for an idea to explode
    edited 2006-06-23 21:49
    Timothy, thanks so much for the clue.

From .parallax.com, I could NOT find a way to get to your suggested link:
    http://www.parallax.com/propeller/downloads.asp
    No wonder I couldn't find the documents; seems the path to get the documents should have been mentioned somewhere on the web Propeller pages. Just an idea.

Yes, that provided much of the info needed to take a deeper look at the Propeller device. Wow, I can see much 'sweat' went into the IC design, the documentation and the IDE. Thanks to everyone for their effort on this large project.

The IDE installed with no problem (W2000 on ThinkPad); beautiful. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2006-06-23 23:30
    Harley, I'm sorry that page was difficult to find via the menus.

From our home page, click on·Propeller Chips from the left sidebar, which gets you to http://www.parallax.com/propeller/index.asp, then look for the "Additional Propeller Links" sidebar to the right of the first paragraph. It has·several links including the Downloads page cited below, and·you might find the Object Exchange link of interest as well.

Just an update on the Propeller Manual - Chapters 3 and 5·are both·in the final stages of proofing (I've got my red pen busy!) and the manual itself is being indexed now. We will be posting the complete Version 1.0 (rather than individual draft files for Chapters 3 and 5)·as soon as it is finished, and you all will be the second to know right after the print shop!·

Thanks much,

Stephanie Lindsay
    Editor, Parallax Inc.
    edited 2006-06-24 00:06
    Thanks, Stephanie, for the clarification. To me it wasn't the obvious for a newcomer to the Propeller project. I tried it; worked great.

Good to hear the 'red liner' is in action. Red pen, been there, done that for decades. You'll be making many happy to get those chapters.

Ah, will Ver. 1.0 be available for download also?

Again, thanks for the information.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2006-06-24 00:37
    You know, I missed the links at first myself - I didn't expect a sidebar to the right instead of to the left.

That red pen will be busy through the weekend, and yes we will post a web-sized pdf file of the full Version 1.0 for download·as soon as we can have it ready.·

Have a good weekend everyone!
    -Stephanie
  • GoogGoog Posts: 65
    edited 2006-06-24 00:51
    Not sure if I should go off on a tangent about the manual in this topic, but... One spot I noticed that needs updating is the TRUNC statement (in ch. 4). The example shows ROUND instead of TRUNC, but I get the picture. Looks like a cut/paste error. I found one other error, but I cannot remember where at this time. Maybe there should be a thread started about documentation problems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Doing my part to keep the Commodore 64 alive!

http://www.commodorestuff.com
    ·
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-06-24 03:12
    Goog said...
    Not sure if I should go off on a tangent about the manual in this topic, but... One spot I noticed that needs updating is the TRUNC statement (in ch. 4). The example shows ROUND instead of TRUNC
    Stephanie already knows about that one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
  • DeveloperZeroDeveloperZero Posts: 15
    edited 2006-06-24 03:42
    Stephanie Lindsay (Parallax) said...

Just an update on the Propeller Manual - Chapters 3 and 5·are both·in the final stages of proofing (I've got my red pen busy!) and the manual itself is being indexed now. We will be posting the complete Version 1.0 (rather than individual draft files for Chapters 3 and 5)·as soon as it is finished, and you all will be the second to know right after the print shop!·
    It's good to hear that the Manual is just about ready.

However, I have a question. I have been plowing through chapters 1, 2, and 4 over the last couple of days in my spare time, and have found a few minor typos, and was wondering where I should submit them. Most of them are fairly small, but I feel that any typo can be kind of annoying.

Also, if the manual is almost ready, why was the release date pushed back another month?

Anyway, I really look forward to it.

Oh, and I'm sorry for not posting a link, Harley. If you want to·quickly access the propeller page (at least for now), you·can click on the "the new propeller chip from parallax" image·on the parallax homepage (that is how I usually get there). In addition, I forgot about this other pamphlet that has some more info on the Propeller (it isn't posted on the downloads page, but was released to the forum at least a week or two ago in one of the threads).
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-06-24 10:59
    What about counter A and B?

From what I understand they have 32(!) modes of operation...
    (found a list in one of the .spin files included with the IDE, but no real explanation in there)
    Will they be explained in chapter 3, chapter 5 or will they get their own chapter?

It sounds like that topic could use a chapter all of its own.
    (Particularly as they seem to be the real key to unleashing the power of this chip)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-06-24 12:55
    DeveloperZero said...
    I have been plowing through chapters 1, 2, and 4 over the last couple of days in my spare time, and have found a few minor typos, and was wondering where I should submit them.
    Submit corrections to editor -at- parallax (dot) com.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store