Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Microsoft goes into robotics — Parallax Forums

Microsoft goes into robotics

nutsonnutson Posts: 242
edited 2006-07-05 15:29 in Propeller 1
You guys fear Microsoft? Today MS·announced support for·robot control·in their·Visual programming language suite, see this link·http://msdn.microsoft.com/robotics. The free (beta) software currently supports·LEGO mindstorms.·Surprisingly, during installation·support for the PhysX™ engine from AGEIA™ was included.·Do they plan to use this as a coprocessor to simulate movement·fysics and control algoritms?

I recently received two·propsticks, they spin like hell. I am very exited about this processor, and plan to hook up a number of them in a system. I have several question on that (shared serial interface, shared external RAM, shared clock etc), will post these later in another thread.

Happy to join the propeller family

Nico Hattink, The Netherlands.

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-06-21 13:06
    The M$ Rise of the Machines system is already being ridiculed in THIS thread in the Sandbox...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • nutsonnutson Posts: 242
    edited 2006-06-21 13:11
    Had not seen that one, thanks.

Nico Hattink
  • Oliver H. BaileyOliver H. Bailey Posts: 107
    edited 2006-06-22 02:13
    Well,
    The group is headed up by a real old timer at Microsoft. Tandy Trower was the original tech support guy at MS. I think he was employee number 19. He did a seminar in 1982 in New York titled MS-DOS the bridge to XENIX. Microsoft was soooo small they were represented by their marketing company, Lifeboat Assosiates. Are there any other CPM people out there that remember Lifeboat Associates? I attended that seminar. The original Altos was introduced that day running XENIX on an 8086 box at the whooping speed of 4.77 Mhz.

Oliver
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-06-22 02:42
    Oliver,
    · Pardon me, but your AGE is showing... [noparse];)[/noparse]

· But I HAVE used CP/M with TURBO PASCAL 3.0 (CP/M version of course).
    · I remember NOTHING of it though...

· I don't have any great love for M$, but those new MAC commercials(PC guy, MAC·guy)·are totally stupid.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com

"I reject my reality, and substitute yours." NOT Mythbusters

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 6/22/2006 2:48:54 AM GMT
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-06-22 05:47
    I programmed 8085 assembly on a Tiki 100(running KP/M, a bastardised copy of CP/M) using the TP3.0 editor. Then we transferred the resulting code to a HP microprocessor trainer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Oliver H. BaileyOliver H. Bailey Posts: 107
    edited 2006-07-02 13:03
    Bean,
    My age would really show if I used a color photo. Hair color would give me away....

You don't look that old from your picture! I think M$ will eventually do themselves in for the OS market. Vista is going to make hardware developers look seriously at alternative OSes. Do I like MS? Well I was actually offered a job that would have given an employee number less than 50. My values didn't fit the company goal so I declined the job. And I have never regretted it. I have several friends who were in the first 100 employees who cashed out and now donate all of their time to charities.

I wrote a lot of embedded code with the TP CP/M compiler for the 8080. It's funny, I still like using that TP compiler and still ocassionally use the DOS version for one last PCI board that has firmware on it.

Take at look at the threads I've started on model train control and amicrocontroller exerciser I am developing for the book.

Oliver
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-03 00:59
    Oliver,

Although OT, could you elaborate on your Vista comment?

Thanks.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-07-03 15:04
    I had a CPM computer, but it sure was difficult to deal with bad sectors on floppy disks. NO recovery and it seemed to me that the only way to lock them out was to reformat [noparse][[/noparse]maybe just replace the disk].

In its day, it was really great though. At least you could format, rather than have to buy formated floppies from IBM at $60USD a piece!

I don't think it really matters how much of an old timer Tandy Trower is. If there is no human community behind the trial and error exploration process of robot experimentation, M$ is doomed to join a long list of failed entries into this arena.

Ironically, Radio Shack was taken over by a mail-order and franchise leather DIY vendor called Tandy out of Fort Worth. They really flopped in their attempt to cash in with VEX. It was a lack of real humans that were willing to 'talk shop' and move a begineer one step froward.

As for Tandy, it seems that M$ just wants to give him a 'golden parachute' or a perk as everyone else is retiring. More shall be revealed. I wish I had Microsoft as a retirement nestegg.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-07-05 15:29
    I was a bit-blaster on an Altair 8800, which I am now looking at on the other side of my office. I have the complete documentation, plus all the literature promoting the computer, including the parts list.

Later, I went on to greater and grander things and became a octal-blaster on a Heathkit H8 I built. Eventually, I had one of the VERY first video monitors for it. The chasis was punched as a mirror image of itself. This meant that some wires were far too short and some were far too long. Somehow, I made it work . . . and still have it and I think it, like the Altair, still works.

The only I/O on the Altair were the front panel LEDs and switches. The H8 had a fancy LED panel and a keypad and a speaker . . . later, a monitor and a tape deck for storing programs. A couple of years later I bought a Vector Graphics Z80 based machine and thought I had entered computer Heaven. I had two of them with actual FLOPPY DRIVES! I also had two HUGE Centronics 703 printers. My wife and I ran a business with this equipment for a couple of years and actually MADE MONEY. (That was the really amazing part.)

Although I have been reading this forum quite a bit, this is my first post and I am really looking forward to the completed Parallax line. I have a LOT of computer experience but very LITTLE electronics background.

--Bill