Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Doesn't recognize!! — Parallax Forums

Doesn't recognize!!

VladimirVladimir Posts: 64
edited 2006-06-22 05:11 in BASIC Stamp
I've just assembled the BS2 OEM version but the computer cannot recognize it. When I click 'run' it says YES to loopback and echo, however seconds later reports that it cannot be found. I substantiated every component if it was installed correctly, but found no errors.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Thanks,

Vladimir
·

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-06-20 22:22
    Have you measured your on-board 5V?·

Did you get all of the pins of the microcontroller placed in the socket properly?· Look for pins which may have curled under.

Inspect for solder bridges.

Done much soldering before?

Any of the components getting HOT?

Ever had a STAMP work·with your computer before?

• VladimirVladimir Posts: 64
    edited 2006-06-20 22:51
    Yes, I've substantiated the voltage, it was 4.99 about 5

I've inspected the pins if were soldered correctly, no bridges, and yea, I have done quite of times of soldering.

the regulator gets a bit worm when I start the transfer

and no, I've never had any other BS2 to work with computer. I've tried to do so on my other computer but ended up with adverse results.

Should I call parallax?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks,

Vladimir
    ·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-06-20 23:04
    Vladimir -

What kind of serial cable are you using between the computer and the BS-2 OEM board - is it a straight-through cable?

Do you have the BS-2 Chip oriented properly, without any pins hanging off of the socket (presuming it's socketed)?

Are you using the parts suggested by Parallax without any substitutions?

Is this a desktop or a laptop computer, and which operating system are you using?

Which version of the PBASIC Editor/Complier are you using?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-06-21 01:07
    I use the 9 pin cable, not sure if it's 'straight-through' cable

I've inspected the BS2 again, however still do not see any pins sticking, as well as the chips are inserted properly.

I used only parts that were included within the provided kit

The windows I have is Win XP Home desktop

The PBASIC compiler that I use is 2.2.5

If you require, I may provide you with a snapshot of the BS2 and how I assembled it. This may help you to identify the error that I might've committed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks,

Vladimir
    ·
    edited 2006-06-21 01:11
    · You've emphasized how you've "substantiated" things.· But the deal where you say it gets, as you wrote, "a bit worm"·when you try to download leads me to suspect the serial comm circuitry, specifically the transistors (one of them is a PNP.)
    · Mine worked first time.· Prior to that, I'd worked with a HomeWork Board, so I had·everything I.D.E.-wise·covered going in.
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-06-21 02:03
    Is your 9-pin serial cable connected to a "legacy" serial port (i.e. a male DB-9 connector) on your PC or are you using a USB-to-Serial converter?

I had the same experience with the first BS2 OEM I assembled--put it together but the PBasic Editor could not communicate with the BS2. It turned out that I'd done everything correctly but the USB-to-Serial converter I was using did not support all the RS-232 signals so as far as the PBasic Editor was concerned, my BS2 lacked power and/or communications capability. Once I bought a compatible USB-to-Serial converter, my BS2 OEM checked-out as OK.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...
    edited 2006-06-21 02:31
    It is a DB-9 connector that I use to connect the BS2 to my computer. as PJ explined himself above, i'll alter the cable and see if that will make it different...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks,

Vladimir
    ·
    edited 2006-06-21 02:47
    · As I PM'd you and Bruce earlier mentioned, the cable should be an extension cable: pin1 to pin1, pin2 to pin2,... pin9 to pin9; no crossing, no "swapping"
    · "When in doubt, ohm it out."
    edited 2006-06-21 04:52
    I used my multimeter (the one that has a diode function, and sounds a signal when shortcircuited) and all the pins are direct just as you've explained-- pin 1 to pin1 ... However, I still experience the same issue.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks,

Vladimir
    ·
    edited 2006-06-21 07:35
    If there's no recognition then it is a communication matter.·

If it was mine, I'd troubleshoot:
    1. check for +5·and GND on the big·IC (the microcontroller), right on its pins, not·via other points·
    2. check the clock/resonator
    3. check for signal at SIN and SOUT on the big IC and at pin-2 and pin-3 of the DB-9 connector, keep trying to program it to find out

For #s 2 & 3, you'll need an oscilloscope.
    edited 2006-06-21 12:57
    I've checked the voltage on pins 1 * 2 and 2 + 4, both ended up with 5vdc. I do not however have an oscilloscope that I could use to complete steps 2 and 3. I thought... maybe I could send it to you so you guys can inspect it? I just don't know what could've went wrong.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks,

Vladimir
    ·
    edited 2006-06-21 14:52
    I've no further·suggestions (except, maybe, the orientation of the resistor pack.)
    edited 2006-06-21 16:41
    nope, all correct. I'm gon' go to my local radio shack store and buy a completeted intregrated BS2, and see if it works... Thanks for your help tho.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks,

Vladimir
    ·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-06-21 16:44
    You did buy your 16C57 chip pre-programmed from Parallax, right?
    edited 2006-06-21 19:30
    I'm assuming, Vlad, this is the BS2-OEM kit -- $30.·

Y/N?
    edited 2006-06-22 05:11
    thats correct, it all came in one set, everything in one bag from parallax, nothing is altered (in terms of components)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks,

Vladimir
    ·