Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The PROJECTS Forum — Parallax Forums

The PROJECTS Forum

PJAllenPJAllen BannedPosts: 5,065
edited 2006-06-23 02:56 in General Discussion
Seems there are a bunch of projects in concept and projects incomplete in the Projects Forum -- I'm not complaining, just noticing.

To wit:
  • need help useing a keyboard with bs2
  • stepper motor controller
  • Midi In - Homework Board
  • I need someone to hold my...
  • Project ideas ???...

Comments

• A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-06-14 23:24
    Yes I noticed that too

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Somebody said...
    -Never Underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    ·
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-06-15 05:14
    I suppose this is a language problem due to the title - too generic for new-comers. And they don't notice the details.

Some are inferring something it is not.
    I guess we should have 'Show and Tell - Your Competed Projects' for completed projects and 'Getting Started - New Projects' for new projects.

A good precise title would eliminate everyone in support having to police as much.

IMHO - ·Redirecting people always seems a bit critical and embarrassing to all. The newcomer is the most valuable customer to any enterprise as they bring growth.··So if at all possible,·policing the forum·should be reserved for more significant infractions in protocol.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 6/15/2006 5:26:21 AM GMT
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-06-15 13:12
    Oh, c'mon, man... a guy gets his Subject re-directed and he goes wing-over into a "shame-spiral"??
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-06-16 01:46
    The thing of misplaced posts is that they are almost always posted by new posters. I think adding another forum targeted towards beginners would alleviate a lot of this.

It could be like the sandbox in that it wouldn't be device specific (BS2, SX, Propeller, etc.), but would be easily identifiable to beginners as being for beginners. Then eventually, when the beginner feels they are no longer a beginner, they'll move on to other topics in the other forums.

The other thing that would be good about this is that I've often seen people giving too vague of information to newcomers simply because they're used to conversing with more experienced people better at filling in the gaps. New postings in the beginner forum would basically be pre-filtered by competency, so people could keep the responses at the correct level.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-06-16 18:42
    The only sticky post in the forum and the forum description clearly states its for completed projects only, but that would be like reading the instruction manual before trying to operate a new device. Many people would smash a square peg into a round hole if it were at all possible and be content with the result, I've given up telling people they've misclassified thier post. No matter how explicitly clear the forum title is, there will still be people who dont follow it if it's possible to do so.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Life is one giant teacup ride.
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2006-06-16 20:26
    Many people just don't pay attention, they just want answers regardless what rules are in place.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

·
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-06-21 01:01
    I agree, the off topic posts in the Projects forum have gotten out of hand lately.

Maybe the subject line of the sticky post there could be changed to something like:

READ THIS: Post only about completed or working Projects here!

And if you have to reply to these posts, maybe just politely direct them to the appropriate forum where they can get help or have their questions answered.

- Rick
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-06-21 13:12
    Yeah, the S/N ratio has definitely gone down recently. My guess is that they're pretty busy at Parallax (Propeller, new docs, no Jon & John) and the forums aren't way at the top of the priority list. I imagine it'll get better before too long. It would be nice, though, if one of the moderators had a few minutes one of these days to move the inappropriate threads to a different forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
    edited 2006-06-21 19:32
    No Jon & John??
    edited 2006-06-21 23:32
    You haven't heard? They're no longer Parallax employees. They now have an independent company where they sell the Parallax EFX line. It was in a thread around here somewhere. They're apparently still very busy with the transition period. We're all hoping they'll be active on the forum again once they get settled.

www.efx-tek.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

links:
    My band's website
    edited 2006-06-22 01:40
    Nobody tells me anything (and -- I don't keep up with the ParallaxEFX forum.)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2006-06-22 19:58
    SSteve,

Just wanted to let you know (in case you didn't see) that Chris Savage is moving around those dislocated threads. We're on top of that problem.

- Ken
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-06-23 01:52
    I noticed the name change today, from "Projects" to "Completed Projects", that should help.

I can see how the old name could have been misleading to someone new to these forums, who didn't pay attention to the text below the main title.

- Rick
    edited 2006-06-23 02:56
    Thanks, Ken. I figured y'all would catch up to it at some point. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

links:
    My band's website