Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS1 Serial interface — Parallax Forums

BS1 Serial interface

bsparkybsparky Posts: 52
edited 2006-06-14 14:01 in BASIC Stamp
The 9 pin serial interface used to program the BS1 that takes care of the RS232 to 5v logic, right. So this could be used for and OEM BS2 and not have to worry about the RS232 interface, just add a 3 pin header directly to the BS2 pins.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-06-13 18:33
    bsparky -

If you're speaking about the following serial to parallel adapter, it is strictly for use with the BS-1 as far as I'm aware, and would have no practical use on a BS-2.
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27111

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • bsparkybsparky Posts: 52
    edited 2006-06-13 20:06
    But that adapter is taking the serial comunications from the PC and change it to 5v logic is it not and on a OEM BS2 that I will be making I could leave off the RS232 converging, would make my board design a lot simpler. Yes that is the right adapter I'm talking about. Thought I saw a schematic of it some were and it had the transistors on it to convert the logic level. Others wise I'll have to make my own adapter was hoping that would work. Thanks for the reply.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-06-14 01:15
    Hello,

·· That adapter does not bring out the DTR/ATN line which is essential to being able to program the BS2.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • bsparkybsparky Posts: 52
    edited 2006-06-14 10:42
    OK thanks Chris. Will have to make my own adapter.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-06-14 14:01
    bsparky,

·· There are already schematics posted for how to connect a USB2SER to a BS2OEM without the RS-232 components.· Please see the following link for more information.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=567989

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com