Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Type of MPU - Interfacing LCD Display — Parallax Forums

Type of MPU - Interfacing LCD Display

Gizmo2006Gizmo2006 Posts: 3
edited 2006-06-30 10:44 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all, I am working on a design using the stamp to control an LCD display.· The display controller·has pin to set for either 68 type(Motorola) MPU or·80 type(Intel) MPU.··Does anyone know what type of Microcontroller is·basic·stamp 2(PIC16C5X)? Thanks in advance.

Post Edited (Gizmo2006) : 6/11/2006 6:05:18 AM GMT

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-06-11 10:44
    Sounds like a byte endian switch for CPU's that typically handle 16-bit data. Motorola CPU's are big endian (high byte first) while Intel is little endian (low byte first) - see here for a better explainatioin en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness

Since Basic Stamps are primarily 8-bit Micontroller's - they only deal with 1 byte at a time. When communicating with a 16-bit device, they can just as easily output either the high byte first or the low byte first - it's all up to your PBasic program.

Secondly, double check your display controller timing requirements closely against your Basic Stamp timing capabilities. While Basic Stamps can do many tasks well - high speed (microsecond) timing is NOT one of them because they run an interpreted Basic. Depending on Basic Stamp model, they can execute 4,000 (BS2) to 19,0000 (BS2PX) instructions per second. If you need a faster processor, the Parallax SX or Propeller CPU's would be a better choice.
  • Gizmo2006Gizmo2006 Posts: 3
    edited 2006-06-29 21:55
    Thank Forrest, as you can see from the delay response this is a side project I am working on. Here is the display and controller I am using

http://apollodisplays.com/F-51852.php
    http://apollodisplays.com/pdf/ge06013.pdf

; do you think this will require a higher speed micro?

I will be picking it up where I left off couple of weeks ago. But I will need to finished it by end of the July. I have not been successful on initialize the LCD and I am pretty sure the what's out of my Bstamp2 is correct as far as firmware as concern. Thanks again.
    edited 2006-06-30 00:02
    Well I'm no expert here - but it looks like the display requires 30 ns timing, and the quickest Basic Stamp on this planet is 3300 times slower. So it doesn't look like it'll fly with a Basic Stamp.
  • Gizmo2006Gizmo2006 Posts: 3
    edited 2006-06-30 05:48
    I have been trying to find the timing spec for the Bstamp2. Where did you find it? I just looked at the Microchip PIC16C5X controller timing spec and it's in nanosec. Is the interpreted Basic slow down the processing by that much?In that case, I guess I have to use different development tools if I want to use this LCD...any sugguestion? Thanks.
    edited 2006-06-30 10:44
    Just go to this page, and check-off the Basic Stamp processor you want to compare and you'll see the execution speed www.parallax.com/html_pages/tech/faqs/stamp_specs.asp

I think the Parallax SX or the Propeller should be able to drive that display - but that's outside my area of expertise.