Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problems with PINK — Parallax Forums

Problems with PINK

Craig NCraig N Posts: 17
edited 2006-06-11 22:06 in BASIC Stamp
Just got my PINK module yesterday, and have been trying to set it up for *hours*...

Using the red crossover cable to connect to my PC ethernet socket.

Set the network adapter on my laptop to:
IP = 10.1.1.10
Network mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 10.1.1.1

Have tried all sorts of configurations, but nothing is showing up in the Netburner IPSetup V2.0 window under "select a unit".

Lights on the PINK are happily lit, and I've checked cables for *@#! how many times...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks MUCH in advance,
Craig

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2006-06-11 02:13
    Craig,

I did the same as you, except I plugged into a port on my router with the "straight-through" cable. No changes to the laptop's settings, just run the IPSetup and the the unit showed up in the "Select a unit window". Baud rate was 9600.

Intuitively, I would leave the laptop settings the same as they were when you last got onto the network.

You can see my test unit at 142.167.85.97 the user is sci, password is katomda

Cheers
  • Craig NCraig N Posts: 17
    edited 2006-06-11 03:23
    I've tried everything: laptop, desktop, with automatic IP and static IP, red & blue cable, through the router, directly connected to the·PC.· The lights on the PINK are blinking happily.· When I fire up the NetBurner IPSetup, shouldn't something automatically appear in the "Select a Unit" box?· Or am I missing something?

Does any code need to be running in the BASIC stamp during IPSetup?

I'm flummoxed...

Many thanks,
    Craig
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-06-11 03:25
    I think your problem might be that your laptop is looking for a gateway device on 10.1.1.1, to provide the gateway out from 10.1.1.10. So in effect, you might have one network device, trying to use 2 addresses.

Try leaving the gateway blank, or setting it the same as the device address.
    edited 2006-06-11 03:38
    Thanks, Kevin--tried both, no success.· Am I missing something obvious?· Any other diagnostics I could run?
    edited 2006-06-11 03:54
    On windows, you can run: ipconfig /all from the command line to get your settings for Windows.

You should be able to use: ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to verify that the device is seen.

If you can successfully ping all of the addresses that show up under ipconfig /all, then you should be able to duplicate those setting as needed for the PINK, if you connect it to your router.

One thing to consider, some routers, if using DHCP, require all hosts to use DHCP, and might not recognize a non-DHCP enabled device. You can try connecting PINK to your router and enabling DHCP for the PINK, or disabling DHCP and creating static addresses behind the router.
    edited 2006-06-11 10:33
    Hmmm... not sure if I understand... ipconfig /all shows a detailed list of the IP configuration settings of the PC that the command is run on, not the addresses on the network.· And I'm trying to set up the initial IP address of the PINK (does it come with a default?), so I can't·ping it before I do that...

Thanks,

Craig
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2006-06-11 12:01
    Craig,

OK, so lets recap:

1. Get things back so the laptop is plugged into the router and it can get on the internet.

2. Go into the admin function of the router and get the IP address of the laptop and any other computers on the network. I get to mine by using a browser and typing in 192.168.0.1.

3. Plug the PINK into one of the open ports on the router. Use "straight through" cable and one of the ports on the local side of the router. Power up the PINK. Connection to a STAMP is not required.

4. Close the browser on the laptop and start up IPSetup. At the very least, you should see the devices plugged into the router.

5. Launch the PINK's webpage and configure.

6. For the outside world to see your PINK, go back to the router admin and enable outside access through port 80 through to the local IP address now assigned to the PINK.

· I just ran IPSetup from another computer on my network. The PINK shows up with a regular router address ( 192.168.0.135) which the router had assigned. Note that all the values in the NDK panel of the IPSetup are at 0.0.0.0 which, I think tells the PINK to accept the one the router wants to assign by DHCP.

If this doesn't generate happiness, there is the outside possibility that the PINK is bent.

Cheers

Post Edited (stamptrol) : 6/11/2006 12:20:39 PM GMT
    edited 2006-06-11 13:54
    Thanks super for the step-by-step, stamptrol! I don't think it's the PINK, I think it's IPSetup, or at least the way I'm (mis)using it. OK, here goes:

1. Get things back so the laptop is plugged into the router and it can get on the internet.

I used the laptop in testing when I plugged the other end of the PINK cable directly into its ethernet jack. To get up and on the internet via a router, I'll use my desktop (also tested with the PINK cable plugged directly inot its ethernet jack, but now back on the router.) I have two other desktop computers on this router, with IP addresses assigned by DHCP. Everything's working (I'm on the internet now [noparse];)[/noparse] ).

2. Go into the admin function of the router and get the IP address of the laptop and any other computers on the network. I get to mine by using a browser and typing in 192.168.0.1.

It's a Linksys router. I type ipconfig in a cmd window on the XP box, get the gateway, pop it into a browser window, enter my browser password, and I'm at the Linksys config screen. I choose Status->Local Network, press the "DHCP Clients Table" button, and see the 3 clients connected to this router. I press the "Refresh" button several times to see the Expiration Dates update to know their alive.

3. Plug the PINK into one of the open ports on the router. Use "straight through" cable and one of the ports on the local side of the router. Power up the PINK. Connection to a STAMP is not required.

Done. Power LED and little LEDs under the ethernet jack are lit happily.

4. Close the browser on the laptop and start up IPSetup. At the very least, you should see the devices plugged into the router.

I do that, and in the "Select a Unit" box, see *nothing*. I hit the "Search Again" button several times, still see nothing. I insure that my Norton firewall allows the program, I even disable Norton Internet Security. Nothing seems to get anything to show up in that "Select a Unit" box!

Arrrrgh... Any ideas?--and again, many, many thanks,
    Craig
  • Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2006-06-11 15:21
    Hook up the Pink directly to the laptop/desktop to see if it is working, it MIGHT be on a different subnet...
    What do the docs say as to it's default ip address??
    Check the cable that you are using... Try another....
    If the laptop/desktop and the pink are NOT on the same subnet, you will not find it.
    So with both connected directly, change the ip/mask of the laptop/desktop to be in the same subnet
    as the default for pink... You will then be able to talk to it, if it is working correctly.

Bon N9LVU scool.gif
    edited 2006-06-11 15:28
    I tried everything when they were hooked together directly: DHCP, assigned static IP addresses (can't find out if they're on the same subnet until I can "see" the PINK on the network, which I take it I do with the config utility,) red & blue cables, through the router, directly connected to a laptop and a desktop. The lights on the PINK are blinking happily. When I fire up the NetBurner IPSetup, nothing appears in the "Select a Unit" box.

I can't find anything in the literature about a default IP address. http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/comm/30013-PINK-v1.02.pdf

Many thanks,
    Craig freaked.gif
    edited 2006-06-11 15:38
    Try hooking up the Pink directly to the Laptop/Desktop "Host" you MIGHT need a crossover cable, hopefully not...
    Try the Netburner IPSetup to see if it talks with Pink.... If NOT, your pink is a hurtin....

The ipconfig utility run from a command line on pc, ONLY shows network devices on that PC, not whats on the lan...
    There are a LOT of utils to scan a lan to see the devices on it...

Bob scool.gif

Post Edited (Robert Kubichek) : 6/11/2006 3:42:15 PM GMT
    edited 2006-06-11 15:46
    "Try hooking up the Pink directly to the Laptop/Desktop "Host" you MIGHT need a crossover cable, hopefully not..."

Tried both Laptop/Desktop, blue (non-crossover) & red (crossover) cables.

"Try the Netburner IPSetup to see if it talks with Pink...."

Nope.

"If NOT, your pink is a hurtin...."

Sure hope not,
    Craig freaked.gif
    edited 2006-06-11 16:01
    Also, make sure your "HOST" is set up to use a static IP address "192.168.0.xxx subnet 255.255.255.0" where xxx is any number 1-126 or 128-253.
    If you try to connect directly from "HOST" to PINK without using a static IP, and if you reboot "HOST", it will NOT have an IP address, and Netburner IPSetup will fail..
    You always connect directly using the RED "crossover" cable.

The steps I would use to program PINK are;
    1) Direct connection to set IP using a STATIC IP address.
    2) Go into PINK using set IP from browser to verify connectivity.
    3) Set up user data " web pages/ ect. "
    4) Browse to PINK to verify "User Data."
    5) Now hook up PINK to LAN
    6) Browse again to PINK to verify connectivity on LAN

From what I have read, you might be missing one little "step" that will "screw the whole match"..confused.gif

Bob scool.gif

PS: I do alot of networking including the proggramming of routers for a living... Plus PC repair/troubleshooting ... smilewinkgrin.gif
    edited 2006-06-11 20:14
    Which version and service paclk level of XP are you using? You might be having a problem with the built-in XP firewall. Service Pack 2 has very different default settings for network security that may be affecting your setup.
    edited 2006-06-11 20:39
    XP SP 2 on all systems. I haven't paid much attention to that: I run Norton and was sure to allow the setup utility. Any idea how to test if SP 2 is the problem?

Thanks,
    Craig freaked.gif
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2006-06-11 20:45
    Craig N, What are you using to power the PINK. I was having simaller issues. This baby eats the electrons. I needs a poser source at 5v with atleast 160mA. Different power supply and off it went. For me the lights blinked with very simallar problems until i changed the power supply.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
    edited 2006-06-11 20:46
    Never mind, my XP firewall is turned off, just checked. Norton turns it off. And I turned Norton off just to be sure, and it still doesn't work.
    Craig
    edited 2006-06-11 21:06
    altitudeap, you are a *Genius*!!! And I am an *Idiot*!!! I've had it hooked to the BASIC Stamp HomeWork board with its 9V battery. Just pulled a little breadboard out of the cupboard which I always have a little regulated 5V circuit at the end of for quick and dirty builds, plugged the power in to the PINK, and voila, guess what just magically appeared in my NetBurner IPSetup "Select a Unit" box? Guess I'm going to have to rethink the battery supply of the robot I'm building, 'cause I'll need to add a wireless bridge too...

BTW, is anyone aware of a very small, *low power* smile.gif wireless bridge?

Many, many, MANY thanks,
    Craig roll.gif
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2006-06-11 22:06
    No problem Craig, I ran across the problem shortly after i ordered and recieved 60 pink modules from parallax. Boy was i stressing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!