Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hardware Not Found — Parallax Forums

Hardware Not Found

AleisterAleister Posts: 2
edited 2006-06-11 00:46 in BASIC Stamp
I'm new to robotics, and I'm having trouble with my BS2 module.

I loaded the P-Basic software on my PC, connected it to the BS2 module on the robot side with the required RS232 cable, connected the other end to the·COM1 port on the PC side, and attempted to download and run·this simple program:

'· First application
'{$stamp bs2}
'{$pbasic 2.5}

········ debug "Hello World!"

·········end

When I enter ALT-R to download and run the program, I get a "Hardware Not Found" error.

In the instruction book Robotics Experiements for the Evil Genious by Myke Predko that I'm building from, there is no mention of how P-Basic knows which COM port to use. On My PC, there is COM1 and COM2. I tried both, but get the same error on each. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

gadgeteer
1536 x 2304 - 521K

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-06-10 17:05
    Well, there is a 'Directive' on the Toolbar that you can use to specify which COM port.· Make sure that that COM is available & OK in the Device Manager, and make sure that nothing else is trying to use it (no conflicts allowed), and be sure that your battery is tip-top, too.
  • AleisterAleister Posts: 2
    edited 2006-06-10 17:15
    PJ,
    is the toolbar in p basic or in the Windows device manager?
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-06-10 18:08
    The toolbar is in the Basic Stamp Editor. You should be using the latest Basic Stamp Editor version 2.2.5 downloaded from www.parallax.com

If you're still having problems, Click Run-Identify (or Ctrl I) in the Basic Stamp Editor. You should see your COM ports and one of the COM ports it should display BASIC Stamp 2, Loopback-Yes, Echo-Yes. If not verify your battery is fresh and you're using a DB9 Straight thru serial cable (and NOT a null-modem serial cable).

If you're still having problems, please post more info about your computer (desktop/laptop), Windows version, etc.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-06-10 18:08
    The 'Directive' deal is in the PBASIC IDE.· You can chose the STAMP-type, the PBASIC-version and the COM-port (they each appear as a statement in your program.)
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-06-11 00:46
    From your attached picture it appears you're using a Radio Shack cable...Is this their USB to Serial cable or is it a standard straight through serial cable?· What genders are on each end?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com