Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
capacitor value — Parallax Forums

capacitor value

Mike WMike W Posts: 105
edited 2006-06-13 15:08 in General Discussion
Hello to all

I have toasted the small capacitor in my parellax standard servo. It is the capacitor on the top of the board right in front of the potentiometer.

It is red, polerized, with the numbers 22 and 10 printed on it, the 22 is on top the 10 is below.

I think that this is a 22 nF rated at 10 volts but i'm not sure. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it, I think that this is the only damage I did to the servo.

Mike W

Comments

• LightfootLightfoot Posts: 228
    edited 2006-06-11 21:53
    It might be a tantalum cap if its polarized and red. If its toasted, I dont think you can check it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Well well, I'm seeing things, three of them.

-Stanley Blystone
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-06-11 22:19
    · If your meter has a Diode-Check setting, you can test it a bit.· If it is still "capacitating", your reading will go up&down as the cap charges and discharges like.
    · Also, it is most likely 22uF, not "22nF".
  • Mike WMike W Posts: 105
    edited 2006-06-12 19:57
    P J Allen, Three of them

Thank you for your responce. There was no checking this capacitor as I turned it into a tiny piece of charcoal with two wire leads leading from it. But I supected it was a tantalum cap, and from searching my Mouser catalog the discription led me to·believe it was·a larger value (22u not 22n) than I first thought.·You guys have backed up·my suspections more than likely with experience and knowledge, as compaired to the guessing I was doing.

Thanks·again

Mike W
  • Tricky NekroTricky Nekro Posts: 218
    edited 2006-06-12 20:50
    I agree with Three of them... It's a tantalum cap used for filtering here... If you can't find any tantalum caps try placing a MKT for best quality... Of cource a tantalum cap can been use for reducing voltage but not in this occation!!! Maybe it is used for opposite voltage protection... Any way the sure thing is ths the servo can work without it if it's the first and last occation... else you might have to find a tantalum one!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    --Be Good. Be Bad. Be Provas--
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-06-13 03:44
    Provas said...
    Of cource a tantalum cap can been use for reducing voltage... Maybe it is used for opposite voltage protection...
    Reducing voltage, opposite voltage protection???
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    edited 2006-06-13 07:22
    For opposite voltage no... my mistake!!!·Ok but for reducing voltage yes... (well I'm not sure if I use the right word)
    I 've seen many use them in the output of amplifiers like LMV721 and LM833!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-06-13 08:04
    They use capacitors on the output of amplifiers becasue it REMOVES the DC component but lets the AC part(sound pattern) through.

And no, capacitors can't 'reduce' voltage.

A bit of fun reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
    edited 2006-06-13 15:08
    Thanks... my mistake...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-