Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Error: No BASIC stamps found — Parallax Forums

Error: No BASIC stamps found

TimTomTimTom Posts: 7
edited 2006-06-17 18:16 in BASIC Stamp
I have an OEM BS2 board that I just got.· When I try to run the first DEBUG program the manual has you do to identify the stamp is connecting to the computer I get a "No BASIC stamps found" message.· I am using a Belking USB to Serial connector.· I have checked that the COM port is set to AUTO in the stamp editor.· I have also take the BS2 board and connected it to another PC using a straight serial cable and I get the same message.· The LoopBack and Echo both say yes on the download progress pop up.· Not sure where to go from here, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-06-07 12:55
    TimTom -

Make sure if the Stamp is socketed, that it's in the socket properly. Check the input power voltage (battery or power supply) to make sure it is producing the voltage that you think it is.

Are these laptop or desktop computers?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-06-07 14:08
    The Belkin USB adapter is well known to be problematic.

Parallax recommends the FTDI USB to serial adapter. Personally I'm fond of the Keyspan 19 adapter. Basically, any adapter sold for "PDA Use" will NOT properly implement the timing between the reset (RTS) signal and the first byte recieved, which makes the Parallax IDE conclude it can't talk to the chip.

Note the "Loopback" test merely checks if the cable is plugged in. The "Echo" test validates the RS-232 communication hardware on the BS2. Both of these can pass even if the BS2 is not powered at all.
  • TimTomTimTom Posts: 7
    edited 2006-06-07 14:15
    I am using two different laptops. One has a serial port and one only has USB. I will order the recomended USB cable and go from there. Thank your for help.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-06-07 19:52
    TimTom,

·· The one with the serial port may work with a direct connection ...On laptops the communication problems are often related to the FIFO buffers, which typically need to be disabled.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-07 22:41
    Chris,

Thanks for the tip- how do I disable the FIFO buffers on the laptop that has the direct serial connection?
    edited 2006-06-08 02:45
    TimTom,

·· In your control panel go to the System Icon.· This should open your System Properties.· If you're in Windows XP you would go to the Hardware tab and click Device Manager.· In the Ports category (click the +) find the COM Port on your Laptop and Double-Click it.· Go to Port Properties and click Advanced.· Uncheck the box, "Use FIFO Buffers" and click okay.· Click Okay on the Properties sheet and try again.··If you have Windows 98 SE the Device manager should be a tab on the System Properties sheet.· The remain of the steps are the same.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-08 13:06
    Chris, thanks for the tip.· Unfortunately the laptop with the straight serial connection does not recognize the connection between the stamp and the laptop so I can't set the FIFO buffer.· Guess I will wait for the new cable to arrive from Parallax.· Could the stamp be dead?· I have a 9-volt battery connected to it and varified that the voltage regulater is putting out 4.96v.· I have removed and reseated the eprom and the pic.· Next I was thinking of checking the xtal with my o-scope.· Not much else on the board beside the transistors.

Tim
    edited 2006-06-09 04:26
    TimTom,

·· What do you mean you can't set the FIFO?· You need to uncheck the box and completely disable them.· This does not require communication with the Stamp to accomplish...Disabling them will hopefully solve this problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-09 04:37
    TimTom,

·· One other thought...Do you see a COM Port entry for the COM Port you're not able to set the FIFO Buffers on?· If not, it may not be turned on in the BIOS, or the drivers may not be installed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-09 21:35
    Chris,

For some reason the serial connection does not show up in the device manager, just the parallel port. I will see what I can do to figure out what is wrong with the configuration of the laptop. When I double click, or right click on the port communication enty I don't see what you are refering to.

Best regards,

Tim
    edited 2006-06-10 04:14
    TimTom,

·· How many pins (and rows of pins) are there on this on-board serial port?· If no entry appears for it in the Ports Category in the Device Manager then there is something wrong in the computer configuration or the port has been disabled.· In either case until that is corrected you will not be able to use a BASIC Stamp or any other serial device on that port.· In the case of USB to Serial Adapters amny have issues on laptops.· This usually is solved by adjusting one or more of these setting, but in certain rare situations nothing helps.· Not every computer is 100% compatible with everything unfortunately.· Do you have access to another computer to test this on?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ndstampndstamp Posts: 4
    edited 2006-06-15 04:02
    Chris,
    I purchased a the Basic Stamp 2 + BOE USB (http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28850)·combo, and I have the exact problem as TimTom.· I have a complete USB connection (both the computer and the Stamp Board).· I downloaded the FTDI drivers from the Parallax website, installed them, and now the Stamp Editor identifies the port (two "Yes" messages for LoopBack and Echo), but the Device type·field is blank when the "Run->Identify" test is performed.·
    Now I have been trying to run the first Debug program in the Tutorial book that came with the package, but I keep getting the "No BASIC Stamps Found" error message.· I·thought that·your earlier·advice on disabling the FIFO for the port should work for me, but it turns out that the advanced options for the USB port do not give me the FIFO option - it is present, however, in the other serial ports of the computer.· In fact, the Parallax help file for USB users has a screenshot of the advanced port setting configurations, and it has no option for disabling FIFO.· The directions are listed on the·Parallax website at http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/ftdi/USB-VCP-Install-WinXP-v1.1.pdf·.· I am at a complete loss, and have spent about an hour for the last five days trying to make the first program run...
    Any help will make me a believer [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    NDStamp
    ·
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...

TimTom,

·· In your control panel go to the System Icon.· This should open your System Properties.· If you're in Windows XP you would go to the Hardware tab and click Device Manager.· In the Ports category (click the +) find the COM Port on your Laptop and Double-Click it.· Go to Port Properties and click Advanced.· Uncheck the box, "Use FIFO Buffers" and click okay.· Click Okay on the Properties sheet and try again.··If you have Windows 98 SE the Device manager should be a tab on the System Properties sheet.· The remain of the steps are the same.

edited 2006-06-15 05:04
    Hello,

·· On the FTDI-based adapters there are no FIFO buffers, but one setting that could affect you, particularly if you're using a laptop is the Latency Timer in the Advanced Options.· Go in there and set it from 16 down to 1.· See if that helps.· 9 out of 10 times it does.· Of course it's always a good practice to verify your power source as well.· How are you powering the board?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-15 23:59
    Chris,

Thanks for gretting back.· Yes, I am using a Laptop, and I set the Latency timer to 1 (it had a default value of 16 before).· However, it does not work. Yes, I have the board powered up, I use the 9 V adapter supplied by parallax·plugged into a wall outlet.· THe green indicator lights up when I move the swithc position on the board to '1' (the 0-1-2 switch).·Any other pointers on what might be going wrong? - ndstamp

Hello,

·· On the FTDI-based adapters there are no FIFO buffers, but one setting that could affect you, particularly if you're using a laptop is the Latency Timer in the Advanced Options.· Go in there and set it from 16 down to 1.· See if that helps.· 9 out of 10 times it does.· Of course it's always a good practice to verify your power source as well.· How are you powering the board?

edited 2006-06-16 00:03
    Do you have another computer, perhaps a desktop you could try this on?· What COM Port was assigned to the USB Driver?· What version of the BASIC Stamp Editor are you using?· Help/About...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-17 06:40
    Chris,

Yes, I do have a desktop in my office, but not at home - I use a laptop at home, and am planning to learn programming the stamp with a laptop in my leisure(!) time.· The COM Port assigned in my laptop (running Windows XP Pro)·is·COM 4 (an USB port).· I am using the BS2 editor.· · Since I do not plan on buying a desktop for home, I would like to figure the problem out so that I can run it directly from the Laptop.· I checked the brand new Spectre 9V DC power supply that came with the Parallax package with a multimeter - the output·DC voltage·reads ~15Volts!· It seems that the DC power supply is faulty; I am going to try again with a 9V DC battery and then if it works, I will·request·a replacement for·the malfunctioning DC power supply from Parallax.· I will keep you updated. - NDStamp
    Do you have another computer, perhaps a desktop you could try this on?· What COM Port was assigned to the USB Driver?· What version of the BASIC Stamp Editor are you using?· Help/About...

edited 2006-06-17 07:56
    Chris,

As I had posted in my earlier email, I replaced the DC Power supply adapter with at 9V battery, but there seems to be no change at all - the run->identify still does not recognize the stamp.· The voltage from the battery and across the Vin and Vss pins is ~9Vs now, but still no success.· I have a suspicion that that the basic stamp itself might be faulty, or the USB connection has something strange.· Could you help me out here?· As an aside, I had bought this package as a birthday gift for my wife (who does a bit of electronics herself), but I have been trying to run it for her for the first time for·more than a week now [noparse]:([/noparse]

edited 2006-06-17 18:16
    ndstamp,

·· There is nothing wrong with your Power Supply.· These are unregulated, and while under no load they run higher than their rated voltage.· This is normal for this type of supply and within acceptable range for the BASIC Stamp/BOE.· Now, as far as communication with the Stamp Module goes, you said you were getting YES for Echo/Loopback, so the module seems to be plugged into the board correctly· I suggested another computer to narrow the issue down to the computer or the BOE/BS2.· If it worked on the Desktop then we would know there is some sort of driver or communication issue with the laptop.· Contact Tech Support directly via phone Monday morning and we would be happy to make some final checks and if necessary have it sent in for testing.

1-888-997-8267 (Toll Free)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com