Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ham Radio---Repeater controler projects — Parallax Forums

Ham Radio---Repeater controler projects

WB9OUFWB9OUF Posts: 5
edited 2006-06-22 16:58 in BASIC Stamp
I am a Ham radio operator and would like to know if any BS2 based repeater controlers have been developed and if so would like to hear about thema and their programs.

Comments

• Fe2o3FishFe2o3Fish Posts: 170
    edited 2006-06-05 18:38
    Have a look at the book "Stamp 2 Communications and Control Projects Book".
    It's Parallax stock #70004 and currently on sale for $5 off. I believe that there
    is a small repeater controller, circuit and programming, described within. As a
    HAM I think you'll appreciate the other parts of the book too!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rusty-
    --
    Rusty Haddock = KD4WLZ = rusty@fe2o3.lonestar.org
    **Out yonder in the Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area**
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
  • mmmm Posts: 56
    edited 2006-06-06 04:19
    I have a BS2 controller on my 900 MHz repeater controlling a 6 meter/10 channel remote base radio.

It uses DTMF commands to change the remote base channels and to turn the main and remote radio on/off along with other features.

Right now its on a protoboard and not well documented yet. The reason why I never documented it was that The BS2 has been working so well for the past 2 years that I never wanted to turn it off so that I could sit down and document the schematic. The controller runs 24/7 in my garage with temps ranging from 0F in the winter to over 105 F in the summer with no BS2 problems yet, I wish I could say the same for the motorola 900 Mhz transmitter.

Recently I've had some request to document the circuit for others and I started the documentation process about 3 weeks ago in my spare time and I'm about 50% finished with the schematic.

The code takes up 100% of the BS2 memory but it has some nice features such as active and inactive ID timers, different courtesy beeps to tell users what band the signals are coming from, either 900 Mhz or 50Mhz, and CW ID of the active memory channel numbers.

I wanted to have it send the actual 6 meter frequency but again due to the EEPROM size of the bs2 this feature wasn't added.

Due to the limited memory of the BS2 it doesn't have one of the major bells and whistles that I wanted which was reprogrammable DTMF access codes over the air, at this time the DTMF control codes are hard coded in the program but so far I haven't had anyone hack into it yet probably due to the small pool of 900 Mhz users.

I'm still in the process of porting it over to a bigger stamp and am about 70 percent finished but due to other constraints the porting process has taken a back burner to other repeater hardware projects.

When I'm finished reverse engineering and documenting my original design I plan to move it over to a CAD program and have some real boards made up.

Mike
    WB8VLC/7
    In the mtns. of Northern AZ.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-06-06 04:26
    Mike,

Sounds like a good article for QST.
  • kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2006-06-06 11:51
    There are a few out there

http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/n0yox.html

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/j/o/jotters/ham/

I also belive there may be a few on the arrl web site.

dan

kb2hap

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-06-22 16:58
    This thread is being moved from the·Completed Projects·Forum to the·BASIC Stamp·Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com