Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem connecting first time. — Parallax Forums

Problem connecting first time.

tigershark35tigershark35 Posts: 60
edited 2006-06-06 02:44 in BASIC Stamp
mad.gif·Hi.

I just got a new homework board kit from Radio Shack and a Serial USB connector. I am using XP pro and a Dell inspiron Laptop.

I cannot get connected or the computer won't recognize the board.· I get the following

···································· VERSION·· LOOPBACK···ECHO
Com3················································· No··········· Yes
Com 11 Can't open port
Com 17 Can't open port

I looked in port on properties on hardware and the USB/Serial was assigned to Com 17.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks

·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-06-04 04:00
    Hello,

·· Let's try and figure out what might be wrong...What brand is the USB to Serial Adapter?· Are you on a laptop or desktop computer?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • tigershark35tigershark35 Posts: 60
    edited 2006-06-04 04:03
    It is a Radio Shack one I got today when I bought the board as I do not have a serial on my Inspiron Dell. It says 6-Ft USB to serial Cable 26-183

Thanks
    edited 2006-06-04 04:08
    Okay, do you have the driver installed?· You said you believe it was set to COM17?· Maybe the Stamp Editor doesn't have the prt set to auto.· Go to the file menu in the Stamp Editor, select Edit, Preferences then click on the Editor Operation Tab and be sure the Default COM Port is set to AUTO.· Is this a desktop or laptop?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-04 04:19
    It is a laptop.

The driver is installed. I just checked the Editor Op. Tab as suggested and it is set on Auto.

Maybe reinstall the drivers?
    edited 2006-06-04 04:21
    Well if it's saying it can't open that port then either there is a problem with the driver (The latest is on the Radio Shack website) or perhaps you have some kind of PDA/Palm-Pilot software such as Active-Sync or Hot-Sync.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-06-04 04:24
    Thanks. I had hot sync at one time before my PDA died. I will look to uninstall that and load the latest drivers. Ill post after I have done that. But I have to sign off tonight. Thanks for the suggestions.
    edited 2006-06-06 02:44
    Chris, FYI. When I cranked up this morning I got connected and all is up and running. Thanks
    Jim