Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS1-IC Rev A, will it work with a serial port? — Parallax Forums

BS1-IC Rev A, will it work with a serial port?

Luke1Luke1 Posts: 7
edited 2006-05-31 20:58 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I am new to the basic stamp, my son was given a BS1-IC Rev A from his school as he is interested in electronics. The Basic Stamp Editor 2.2.5 requires a serial port, but the instructions on your site indicate that we need a parallel port. We do not have one only a printer port, LPT1 or USB.

Many thanks for any Suggestions or help.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-31 18:40
    The BASIC Stamp 1 requires a serial port and a BS-1 Serial Adapter to program under Windows XP using the Stamp Editor.· Please see the following page for more information.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_Stamp1_Windows.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Luke1Luke1 Posts: 7
    edited 2006-05-31 19:07
    Thans for the information. The PC is windows 98, does this still apply?
    edited 2006-05-31 19:25
    Hello,

·· Yes it still applies since what we're really referring to is the Windows version of the editor as opposed to the old DOS version which used the LPT (Parallel) port.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-05-31 20:50
    Chris -

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I really hope I AM! I didn't think the newest PBASIC Stamp Editor Version 2.2.5, which includes native BS-1 support, would operate on anything less than Windows NT/2K/XP? At least that's the impresion I'd been given.

It's held me back on any number of projects since I'm running Windows 98SE and it's going to cost me a good deal of money to upgrade a number of other applications programs to that level, or set up an XP machine just for the PBASIC Editor. I do wish there had been some warning prior to that happening.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-05-31 20:58
    Bruce,

·· While we're not supporting Windows 98 and cannot confirm compatability several customers have reported running the current version without issues.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com