Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Machine Automation — Parallax Forums

Machine Automation

TechnicsTechnics Posts: 7
edited 2006-05-31 16:18 in Learn with BlocklyProp
·I am automating a·machine in which I am trying to do·the following:
1 - Preheat the machine up to 600C.
2 - Open container door through a solenoid or similar device.
3 - Run the blower.
4 - keep monitoring the temperature and decrease/increase the blower speed
as needed to keep it at 500C.
5- steps 3-4 should be run for specific amount of time.
6- Shutdown the heating unit and increase the blower speed to cool down the
material.
7- Shutdown the blower.
8- discharge the material.
Will you please assist me on what sort of hardware/software will help me
achieving the above.

Thanks

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-26 23:59
    Hello,

·· Pending some answers from fellow forum members who may have done some work like this, I would also recommend reading through our Industrial Control Text at the following link.· A PDF file is available free at the bottom of the page.· It deals with some of these concepts as they apply to the BASIC Stamps, however someone actually implementing this type of controller might be able to offer some real world examples.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28156

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-05-27 00:07
    Industrial Control is a good start. In general, an appropriate sensor is fed to an ADC to convert the temperature. Power to the devices can use solid state relays. Opening the door maybe a servo? The IC text has a chapter on real-time control using a real-time clock.

Without knowing the specific voltage, current or mechanical forces these are just best guesses.

Also, 500C is pretty high for the sensor IC uses. You may need to use an RTD in either or op-amp configuration or as part of an RC network using RCTime.

Few things to get you started....

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale - Electronic Systems Technologies

Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
  • TechnicsTechnics Posts: 7
    edited 2006-05-27 05:03
    Thanks for the postings. More precisey what I need to know is, what sort of microcontroller card I will neeed : BASIC Stamp 1, BASIC Stamp 2, Stamp PLC, and so on? Also What expansion cards I will need to compudate the number of inputs and out puts? What sort of sensors and control devices will work best with the selected controller.

The Voltage rating is as follows:

- 2 heaters each is 3.5KW, 220v, 10amp.

- Blower is 220v, 2 amps

Initially I was thinking of buying a sample of each card and see which one works better. But since my budget and time are limited I thought of getting an advice from the experts.

Thanks
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-05-27 05:18
    Go with the BS2. I prefer Solid State Relays with screw terminals, keeps the high V away from your board. These are simply LED's which control the high V, so very easy to use, such as:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=3321&Row=693061&Site=US

I don't have a good suggestion for a sensor beyond using an RTD.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale - Electronic Systems Technologies

Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    edited 2006-05-27 05:28
    A BASIC Stamp 2 could handle these devices no problem.· The driver interface is going to be similar on any microcontroller for this type of device.· But this is only the outputs.· What sorts of input signals are we talking?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-05-27 06:34
    As for the inputs I think I might need the following:

Digital
    - Door status (Open/Close).
    - Door limits while closing and opening.

Analog
    - Three readings from three diffirent locations. Temperarue (0C-600C) through a thermocouple.
    - Material wieght (Load Cell)

Also·would it be better to use Stamp PLC or Basic Stamp? Finally, can I use LabView to do the proramming?
    Thanks
    ·
    edited 2006-05-27 14:53
    What you want to do could all be done...We don't support Labview so I cannot answer that question.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-05-27 18:40
    Just to let you know, the Stamp PLC requires a BS2 or Javelin module to operate. It is essentially a PLC module that uses a Stamp for the processor, but the stamp module isn't included, and must be purchased seperately.

As for Labview, you should be able to write a program that can communicate with a BS2. You cannot, however, directly program any stamp module with Labview. Basic Stamps are programmed using PBasic, Javelin Stamps using Java.

If you want to create a program in some language that sends data to the stamp via a serial connection, the stamp can be programmed to receive the data and respond accordingly. The stamp would then be an interface between the PC program & some other device. So you would have 2 programs running - the PC program written in language XYZ, and the stamp program, written in PBasic or Java (based on stamp used).

If you need more info on the BS2 side, check out the Industrial Control book mentioned, as well as the "What's a Microcontroller" manual, and the Basic Stamp Manual.

Post Edited (Kevin Wood) : 5/28/2006 2:17:13 AM GMT
    edited 2006-05-27 19:44
    Kevin thank you for the great information. That clears most of the things. My problem is building my purchase list of compnents. I guss I have to go through some trail and error·to get what I need. Thank you all for the information.
  • DunnseptDunnsept Posts: 115
    edited 2006-05-31 12:44
    You would have to move to a BS2P series, but for the thermocouple you can order the DS2760 kit·· right from parallax. K,J and T type thermocouples, K and J will get you to 1023C so you are good to go. The IC text will get you through PID also, a portion of which you will probably want to use depending on your temperature tolerances. I highly recommend the IC text; very good reference.

Minus the opening door portion, I am working on similar projects with an SX. currently I'm making a coffee roaster. Temps·don't go anywhere near as high·as what you're talking though (max of about 475F).. after the coffee roaster comes the RIMS beer brewing setup yeah.gif

good luck
    edited 2006-05-31 16:18
    As a side note (And as published in our 2006 catalog) we are using the Thermocouple Kit in our manufacturing department to control a Lead-Free Solder-Pot.· The whole thing was a great learning experience and you can see more about it in the catalog.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com