Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hardware option to clear EEPROM? — Parallax Forums

Hardware option to clear EEPROM?

NGarlandNGarland Posts: 10
edited 2006-05-26 21:50 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,
· I'm using a BS2 with a BOE (Rev.B) and I've run into a bit of a problem with a program that is loaded into memory.· Once power is connected to the BOE (the BOE is connected to my PC via a serial cable and a serial-to-usb adapter), the program starts to run, something goes haywire resulting in my mouse cursor jumping all over the screen and shortly after my computer reboots.· Before I can troubleshoot the problem I need to resolve the cursor/reboot problem.· So my question is:· is there a way to manually clear the EEPROM without the board being connected to my PC (perhaps holding the reset button down for 30 sec or something like that).· Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-N

Comments

• Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-05-26 20:08
    First of all, if you have a Stamp sending info out the DB9 when you boot your computer, sometimes it will load a mouse driver for it (incorrectly)- so if you have a BOE sending DEBUG info when the computer is booted this can happen. To keep this from happening, turn off the BOE/Stamp until the computer is completely booted.

For erasing the EEPROM you can only do so by writing over it with other data. A simple END as a program (with appropriate directives) will clear things quickly.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • NGarlandNGarland Posts: 10
    edited 2006-05-26 21:50
    That's an interesting tidbit of information.· It could very well be that the initial unscheduled reboot is what got my system into the state·it was in·(it did reboot with the BOE connected and powered on).· Rebooting with the stamp disconnected has cleared the problem up.

Thanks much!
    -N