Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK receiving info from Linux or Windows — Parallax Forums

PINK receiving info from Linux or Windows

HarborHarbor Posts: 73
edited 2006-05-26 20:26 in BASIC Stamp
I'm finding the PINK well-designed to deliver information to the outside world, but I'm having some trouble getting information into my BS2 from other computers using the PINK. It's easy enough between two BS2's equipped with the PINK by using the UDP, but UDP is a low level protocol not normally made available at the script level to Linux or Windows users. (Unless I'm missing a technique here, which is always possible.)

Right now, I'm planning to write a PERL script so my Linux boxes can send information to the BS2 over the local net and the only way I see to do that is the html POST method -- which is normally used by people to enter information into forms and such.

Before I do this work, do you at Parallax have any scripts already written that let a Linux box send information to a PINK on the net?

Comments

• Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2006-05-26 19:47
    You will find a udpserver.exe and udpclient.exe program for windows
    in this thread:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=556951

These require the NET 2.0 runtimes. A link for that is also in that thread.

regards peter
  • HarborHarbor Posts: 73
    edited 2006-05-26 20:02
    Thank you, Peter. That will save me some work although it does require me to accept a little extra complication. (Such is life.<sigh>) I'll have to lateral the information from the Linux boxes to a Windows workstation on the same net, and then script the Window machine to forward it to the PINK. Sending things from Linux to Windows is easily done by several methods, so this will work if no one has a Linux based script already written.
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-05-26 20:04
    Keep in mind that the PINK is more of the bridge for the Stamp, so you are sending data to the stamp, via the PINK- it is common to have the stamp polling the PINK for variable changes and when appropriate reading the data out...

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • HarborHarbor Posts: 73
    edited 2006-05-26 20:26
    Oh yes, I realize that Ryan. It is the Stamp that I'm trying to get the data delivered to. But the design of the PINK seems to focus on delivery of data from the BS2 to the outside world, not the inbound direction. The only designed technique for inbound from computers is the UDP, which is easily done from another micro-P using a PINK, but to do that from a 'big' box requires a script to open a socket and so forth. A useful addition to the downloads would be a set of scripts, like those Peter provided for Windows, but written for Linux boxes.

As I mentioned, you can use html POST for that purpose as well, but again that is really intended to carry out the action of a human, not another computer.