Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
802.11g Controlled Robot — Parallax Forums

802.11g Controlled Robot

crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
edited 2006-07-28 02:14 in Robotics
The other day, I had the Idea to control my robot·with a usb joystick attached to my computer.· My computer has an 802.11g Plus router attached to it, for our home network.· Can I control my robot via the joystick, through the router?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
NerdMaster
For
Life

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-05-26 20:49
    It could be done but it isn't a starter project. You would need to write a program to read the joystick, convert the info into a data packet and send it out to the net. The robot would need to receive,translate and act on this info. Not trivial by any means.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2006-05-26 20:51
    Ok, I'll stick to model Airplane Radio control, and a wireless webcam.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • Daniel M.Daniel M. Posts: 14
    edited 2006-07-18 18:44
    I am currently in the process of doing exactly what you mentioned above. I'm controlling a robot for a school competition using my laptop and a wireless access point on the robot. What I've set up is an RS-232 device server linked to the access point, such that I can write an application(currently in Delphi 7 Pascal) to retrieve the position of the joystick, and then relay that through the network using UDP packets to be sent straight to the basic stamp i have controlling the entire robot. My device server is a Lantronix UDS-10. However, i am having some difficulty getting the signals to operate properly due to the fact that the X-Y plane the joystick outputs has to be converted to right and left motor controls...
  • gelfling6gelfling6 Posts: 60
    edited 2006-07-27 22:55
    Something I'd like to be able to do, is form some kind of 2-way comunication between the BOE, and the computer.

I've looked at the MAD-KATZ wireless controller for the PS2, specificly at the little 2.4Ghz module inside both the
    controller, and the plug-in reciever.. But, the module has no pin-outs.. it appears to transmit the clock, and
    data both ways, especially for the handset to vibrate.. Has anyone tinkered with these? they're relativly cheap
    at places like Borders Books, or Walmart. Also seen one at a Walmart, that was a wireless controller like
    the PS2, but reciever had a USB cable. (for PC use) This alone, would make a batter chance.

Stephen (gelfling6)
  • $TAMP&ME$TAMP&ME Posts: 18
    edited 2006-07-28 02:14
    there is another way but you'll need to create a program to read the joystick then send it to the debug terminal which is connected to the RF-transmitter then send the packet to recieve it in the BS2 then unload the packet and use it for movements for the servos