Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2.5" LCD interface — Parallax Forums

2.5" LCD interface

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-05-20 22:33 in Propeller 1
Well, my 3·Propeller Demo Boards just arrived an hour ago.
This will certainly keep·me busy with the programing rather than building boards and interfaces.
Audio and Video are whole new worlds to this microcontoller user.

I managed to power up and test one Propeller Demoboard with the Video through my TV's NTSC·and I must say I am quite pleased.· Very easy and smooth.·

I am happy to see the on/off switch as I have read that keyboards and mice MUST NOT be hot swapped.· There is risk of damage at least to them. [noparse][[/noparse]It is unlike USB which can be hot swapped.]

My problem is that the 2.5" monitor has a cable with 2 RCA connectors; a red and a white.
Standard RCA video is YELLOW, with the RED and WHITE for stereo audio.· This device seems to be mono, but nothing tells me if the RED is video and the White is Audio or vise-vera.· Nothing explains the POW/AV switch either.

Now I have all sorts of video and audio programs to download, test and study.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-19 15:45
    Kramer,

·· Unfortunately I have seen some of those 1/8" Phone to 2 RCA connectors which are wired differently when used in different applications like this and from different companies.· In looking around for smaller LCD monitors such as this we have seen both ways.· The nice thing is that since both are inputs into the monitor connecting the wrong one with only result in noise coming from the speaker, but try the red one on these.

·· The switch is simply that...A Power Switch.· In one position the LCD will be off, and in the other, hopefully you will have audio/visual glory!· =)· Enjoy.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-20 14:32
    ·I thought about this an decided that there was little to no risk of damage.
    After all, everything is 3.3volts or less to the monitor.

Can the Propeller Demo Board's stero audio be simply converted to RCA connects via an adapter and output to a TV's audio?

For me,
    The RED plug appears to be Audio as it was my first choce and I got a loud buzz rather than a picture.
    The WHITE plug is the Video and everything comes up quite nicely.

I suppose I could change the white to a YELLOW.

My wall wart read +12.3 volts with no load, but works fine. Most devices are design for an extra 0.5volts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-20 22:33
    Kramer said...(trimmed)
    Can the Propeller Demo Board's stero audio be simply converted to RCA connects via an adapter and output to a TV's audio?
    Yes,·you could treat them like line-level audio outputs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com