Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum about general robotics? — Parallax Forums

Forum about general robotics?

XNORXNOR Posts: 74
edited 2006-05-30 17:34 in Robotics
Greetings,

I am still a novice in robotics, and have many questions. So, I am looking for a forum where I could ask general questions about robotics, not necessarily related to Parallax products.

From reading the responses to some posts, I understand that it is not appropriate to ask about products from other companies or to ask general questions not related to Parallax. So, I am hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction.

The kind of topics that I am thinking about include: constructing H-bridges, constructing IR and sonar sensor circuits, constructing robot bases, servo-motor hacking, process control programming, artificial intelligence programming, where to buy hardware, where to buy tools, etc, etc...

I know it may be too much to ask to find all of these topics on a single forum page, but I thought I would ask anyway. (The forums I have found so far usually focus on the products of a single company, or on a single topic - such as B.E.A.M. robotics.)

Thanks for any guidance!
smile.gif

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-05-18 18:40
    mprobo -

Since I don't work for Parallax, mine is certainly not the final word, but consider this. The Sandbox area of this board is often full of non-Parallax issues, questions and the like. I'd say it would be prudent not to "hawk" products which are in competiton with those Parallax offers, or to ask questions about other brand processors, but other than that, I think you'll find us to be a fairly friendly and helpful group.

Who knows, we may be able to show you how wise it really is to look at the Parallax Products, as most of us have smile.gif

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-19 03:16
    Perhaps you could find a robotics group in the Yahoo Groups.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 5/19/2006 6:06:39 PM GMT
  • XNORXNOR Posts: 74
    edited 2006-05-19 17:59
    Bruce Bates said...
    mprobo -

Since I don't work for Parallax, mine is certainly not the final word, but consider this. The Sandbox area of this board is often full of non-Parallax issues, questions and the like. I'd say it would be prudent not to "hawk" products which are in competiton with those Parallax offers, or to ask questions about other brand processors, but other than that, I think you'll find us to be a fairly friendly and helpful group.

Who knows, we may be able to show you how wise it really is to look at the Parallax Products, as most of us have smile.gif

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Greetings Bruce,

Thank you for the reply. Actually, I have two BOE-Bots from the RadioShack sale. The Parallax BOE is very nice in the sense that it makes things relatively easy.

I am interested in learning more, so I think I need to force myself to do things the hard way (by constructing the various components myself). I'm currently building my first 'scratch-built' bot and want to try to build it without using pre-built parts. smilewinkgrin.gif

In regards to the 'Sandbox' and off-topics, I am thinking of posts and replies such as this one:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=587245

Thanks for reading smile.gif
  • XNORXNOR Posts: 74
    edited 2006-05-19 18:03
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    Perhaps you could fins a robotics group in the Yahoo Groups.

Thank you for the reply Chris. I searched the Yahoo Groups for 'robot' and 'robotics', but there are so many groups. freaked.gif
    Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations? confused.gif

Thanks for the help! smile.gif
    edited 2006-05-19 18:09
    You're correct about the post you mentioned.· We try to keep topics even in the sandbox related to Parallax products somehow.· If someone posts a link to a robot which is not Parallax once in awhile no problem, since it might inspire someone to create something similar using Parallax products.· But actually talking about other products is not encouraged.· All i can say is look at the Groups in Yahoo that have a·lot of memmbers and recent postings.· Then go into those and read what's being posted.· You can make your own decision from there.· Only you know what you are looking for so this would really be the best method of achieving this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • abdooooabdoooo Posts: 1
    edited 2006-05-23 01:18
    HEY guys any one could tell me how to get free books about robotics from the web because i'am abeginner in the robotics field and i wanna learn so please help me my e-mail is
    kkkk_uuuu2000@yahoo.com
    edited 2006-05-23 05:05
    All of our books that we publish are available as free downloads in PDF format from our website.· That's free.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-05-26 21:16
    Try some of the robot societies like this on here in Oregon

http://www.portlandrobotics.org/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2006-05-27 13:06