Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stamp not downloading code :shocked: — Parallax Forums

stamp not downloading code :shocked:

chcummings2001chcummings2001 Posts: 2
edited 2006-07-08 22:27 in BASIC Stamp
when i try downloading the code onto the stamp, the program says it sees the stamp but it cannot download program onto stamp and to check power supply. i checked my 9v battery and it is running at 8.6v. mabey it has something to do with using a 9 pin serial to usb adaptor or the length of the cable. i dont know. i am new to electronics. can anyone give me any leads?

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 5/18/2006 6:22:37 PM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-18 18:23
    What adapter are you using?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • chcummings2001chcummings2001 Posts: 2
    edited 2006-05-18 22:32
    hi,
    the adaptor i used is called a usb pda/ serial adaptor cable made by dynex. it says that it works with devices that have rs-232 interface and that it supports data transfer rate up to 500 kbps. all greek to me.

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 5/19/2006 3:04:48 AM GMT
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-05-18 23:20
    Not all USB to serial adapters will work with the BASIC Stamps.· Radio Shack carries a known good and we carry the FTDI Usb to serial adapter that works perfect.· Here is a link for more information:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
    edited 2006-05-19 03:05
    And please stop posting every emoticon into each message you post...It's impossible to read the message with so many animated faces jumping all over.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Dave TDave T Posts: 10
    edited 2006-06-20 20:41
    SERSPL.VXD

This is the driver with the idotConnect USB-Serial Cable (by PPA Int'l)
    Does anyone know if this will work?

So far, it doesn't appear to allow me to download code to the BASIC Stamp, but I am now sure how to know if there is some other problem or if this is it.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-06-20 20:46
    Note most USB adapters that support PDA's tend NOT to properly support the 'handshake' signals that the BS2 needs. They do this to cut costs, but it makes it useless for BS2 applications.

Thus the recommendation for the Radio Shack, and FTDI, (and the Keyspan 19w), all of which have been proven to work properly. And it's not a problem with the BS2, it's a problem with cheapo companies that take too many shortcuts when they make their USB adapters.
    edited 2006-06-21 14:31
    As a side-note on the KeySpan, I am no longer recommending that one for Laptop users, as when there are timing issues, their driver is nearly impossible for the end user to access.· It replaces the Advanced Settings with some strange setup wizard and many customers don't know what anything in there does.· I can never even remember so I cannot help customers when they're using that driver.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Dave TDave T Posts: 10
    edited 2006-06-26 18:11
    SERSPL.VXD

This is the driver with the idotConnect USB-Serial Cable (by PPA Int'l)

In case anyone is curious, this driver and cable does work! (and it is only $15 at Fry's)
    edited 2006-06-26 18:13
    DaveT,

·· Does it work on many different systems, including Laptops and Desktops?· We extensively tested a few adapters and some will work on a few selected machines, but not all.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Husky X3Husky X3 Posts: 18
    edited 2006-07-08 22:27
    I think this is somewhat amusing:

I had the same problem and I bought the $15 cable at Fry's. After i loaded the drivers, I had great success. SAME PROBLEM----SAME SOLUTION just a couple of days before you did!