Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
issue with RFID module — Parallax Forums

issue with RFID module

boardnewbieboardnewbie Posts: 1
edited 2006-05-15 15:04 in BASIC Stamp
I just got RFID module and i connect VCC to USB as power source , SOUT to serial pin 2 , GND and /ENABLE to ground of USB port.. and i try to use it in hyper terminal try both com1 and 2 but not seem to work...
anyone out there could help PLZ..

Thank a lot

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-15 11:36
    It's not likely your USB port is assigned to COM1 or COM2, and even it it was, the data coming out of the RFID is probably not the correct polarity -- you may have to invert it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-05-15 11:49
    Jon -

Above and beyond that, if I understand correctly what "boardnewbie" is trying to do, the USB port doesn't have sufficient, or barely sufficient power to drive the RFID unit, does it?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-15 12:08
    I don't know -- I've heard USB ports can supply 500 mA; is that wrong? I wouldn't attempt to drive it from the USB supply, but that's just me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-15 15:04
    Initial power-up current of the USB Port is limited to 100mA.· Once the USB controller is enumerated the current limit is raised to 500mA.· As far as I know the device must request to be recognized as a high-power device for this to happen.· Usually the device will control switching of the power if it is a high-power device so that when the device has been recognized as high-power it switches on the connected equipment via a MOSFET.· If I am reading the FTDI sheet correctly by default they do not support anything over 100mA on the bus.· You must write a register in the EEPROM of the chip (FT232R) to sepcify up to 500mA of current draw.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com