Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Obtaining PID, VID — Parallax Forums

Obtaining PID, VID

FujmonFujmon Posts: 4
edited 2006-05-14 21:42 in BASIC Stamp
Just installed MacBS2 on my PowerBook, but initially could not find the BOE Rev B (USB) board. I dug around, and found a work-around that involves installing an older version of FTDIUSBSerialDriver. After installing, system recognizes a new network port, but MacBS2 cannot access it.

So, i am logging into root to /Library/StartupItems/FTDIReEnumerate to edit the FTDIReEnumerate file, but need to reassign the vendorID (VID) and productID (PID). Where do I find this information? Will that information be in hex, or must i convert the dec number into hex before insertion into the line of text within aforementioned file?

gary

Comments

• SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-05-14 19:21
    You shouldn't need to make any changes to FTDIReEnumerate. I'm using the Professional Development Board which I assume has the same FTDI chip as the USB BOE. I had trouble getting MacBS2 to recognize the port at first, but a restart helped.

For your reference, here's the contents of my FTDIReEnumerate:
    #!/bin/sh

##
    # Start FTDI ReEnumeration
    ##

. /etc/rc.common

ConsoleMessage "Starting FTDI ReEnumerate"

/Library/StartupItems/FTDIReEnumerate/ReEnumerate -v0403 -p6001

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
  • FujmonFujmon Posts: 4
    edited 2006-05-14 19:46
    Thanks for your comments SSteve, but I have rebooted my Mac several times but can not get MacBS2 to see the port (clicking the ID Stamp button returns an error msg: "Couldn't open serial connection. Serial adapter plugged in? Port Selected?"

System Preferences discovered the new network connection, but the Network Status dropdown shows that usbserial-181 "is configured, but is not connected"

The documentation that comes with MacBS2 identifies the problem, and offeres the modification of the FTDIReEnumerate file. I just need to know what my BOE Rev B (that has a BS2 Rev G chip) board's PID and VID numbers are...

gary
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-05-14 21:42
    So nothing shows up in MacBS2's "Serial Port" drop down?

I'm not 100% sure the PID/VID is the issue. I'm successfully using both my Parallax USB/Serial adapter and the built-in USB port on my Professional Development Board with the PID and VID I posted earlier.

Here are a couple other things to look for:

If you go to System Preferences -> Network and select Show: Network Port Configurations you shouldn't have the usbserial-XXXX driver checked.

Run terminal and go to the /dev directory. Enter the command "ls cu.*". Do you see an entry for cu.usbserial-XXXX? There should also be a "tty.usbserial-XXXX" if you enter the command "ls tty.*".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows