Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Propeller with Professional Development Board's RS-232 port — Parallax Forums

Using Propeller with Professional Development Board's RS-232 port

SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
edited 2006-05-14 22:04 in Propeller 1
Is it possible to use the Propeller with the PDB's RS-232 port?

I tried connecting TX to A31 and RX to A30 through 2.2k resistors. There's a 10k pull-up resistor on A30 and RTS is connected through a 2N3904 as shown in the PropSTICK schematic, but the Propeller Tool doesn't see the Propeller.

After connecting RX and TX to A30 and A31 I measured 4.3 volts on the power rail so I'm hoping I didn't destroy my Propeller already.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

Comments

• cocokiwicocokiwi Posts: 75
    edited 2006-05-14 20:12
    SSteve said...
    Is it possible to use the Propeller with the PDB's RS-232 port?

I tried connecting TX to A31 and RX to A30 through 2.2k resistors. There's a 10k pull-up resistor on A30 and RTS is connected through a 2N3904 as shown in the PropSTICK schematic, but the Propeller Tool doesn't see the Propeller.

After connecting RX and TX to A30 and A31 I measured 4.3 volts on the power rail so I'm hoping I didn't destroy my Propeller already.

······ Hmmm,

····· since you are using RTS instead of DTR..

····· and since the Tool uses DTR and feeds it though a·transistor instead of direct,that Rs232 chip don,t have DTR!

····· you could use it as a secondary as you can program it to use RTS/CTS! You can Put a USBTOSER on the BS-1 serial adaptor,upside down
    ····
    ····· RES goes directly to the socket on USR device...then run PCO pin 3 on the BS-1 to tx prop·39· PCI pin 4 Bs-1 to rx 40 on the prop!

······ It is what I,m using right now!

····· Cheers Dennis

····

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://people.delphiforums.com/cocokiwi/Image/picture.jpg

Post Edited (cocokiwi) : 5/14/2006 8:26:27 PM GMT
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-05-14 22:04
    I didn't get anywhere with the PDB's RS-232 port so I decided to throw caution to the wind and assemble my PropSTICK. Miraculously my fledgling soldering skills were up to the task:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=586891

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows