Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hyper Terminal with Serout — Parallax Forums

Hyper Terminal with Serout

Mike CollierMike Collier Posts: 25
edited 2006-05-11 18:56 in BASIC Stamp
I can't·get hyper terminal to receive bytes sent from BS2 executing SEROUT commands, although I can get the bytes in the debugger fine.

I am using Pin 16. I have tried various baud modes to no avail. 8 Bits, no parity , 1 stop bit, no handshaking. I am using just the plain download cable with no extra hardware.

Does hyper terminal work with bs2 (pref using download cable), and can anyone give an example of setting please?

Note: Hyper terminal does work with a non parallax chip on this machine.

Thanks

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-05-11 14:29
    Don't know what data you are sending from your BS2 to HyperTerminal, BUT (and anyone can shiv me if I'm totally wrong-o here) HyperTerminal will only "show" the standard ASCII set/characters.· So, if you were sending it a constant stream of $00, $80, etc., then HyperTerm isn't going to be impressed at all.

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 5/11/2006 2:32:19 PM GMT
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-05-11 14:34
    Mike, you probably don't have Hyper set up correctly.· I am attaching a program that ket my Stamp communicate with Hper.· Load it into your Hyper directory.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2006-05-11 15:32
    Be sure there is a capacitor (0.1uf) in series with the DTR line (pin 4 on the db9).

Without the capacitor, Hyperterminal brings the DTR line high and keeps it there as long as it is "connected", and that holds the Stamp in reset.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-05-11 16:17
    I am/was figuring that this is a BS2 in a BoE/HWB.

How fare ye then, Mike Collier?
  • Mike CollierMike Collier Posts: 25
    edited 2006-05-11 17:02
    I was sure I had this working before so I switched back to using a laplink cable with gender changer on one end. Using this cable I can get consistent text into hyperterminal, and can download programs into the stamp. The previous (problem) cable came with Velleman Pic loader but works ok for that. The laplink cable is considerably longer but I don't know how else it differs other than having two female ends.

I tried the tws9600.ht file but that didn't seem to help me, maybe I wasn't using it right, I just opened it in H.T. applet viewer.

I am now trying to read data into an existing application that reads from the COM port, that application is getting inconsistent readings from the stamp and laplink cable - so I will dig into the source. Ultimatly it is this application that I want to get working correctly. AFAIK this wouldn't affect DTR line would it? it just writes and reads from a com file/port.

If anyone has delphi code for reading code from COM & Stamp that would useful too, hopefully it is just a setting problem since non stamp stuff works ok....

Any ideas welcome...
  • Mike CollierMike Collier Posts: 25
    edited 2006-05-11 18:56
    I have had a closer look at the DTR voltages with either cable and there is a difference,one goes to -12 whereas the other stays around 0 volts.

I have also had a closer look at the board that the bs2 came on (bought in uk) its not a parallax board and doesn't seem to have the capacitors tracy mentions (just one for regulating the power from what I can work out).

Seems I need to get some decent hardware and maybe things will work out for the best.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.