Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
transferring the source code — Parallax Forums

transferring the source code

yngjngyngjng Posts: 7
edited 2006-06-15 15:20 in BASIC Stamp
i m developing a software for telerobot. but i have a problem with transferring the source code. Is that any other methods to transfer the source code from pc to controller instead of using the software provided?

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-05-11 13:15
    If you're using the Parallax Basic Stamp 2 (BS2), then the easiest way is to use the Parallax IDE.

There are other ways. The 'stache' module allows you to load the module, carry it into the field, and use it to program another BS2 in the field. Parallax has also made available their compiler engine as a DLL, so you could write your own downloader.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-11 15:01
    What problems are you having?· Perhaps there is a solution.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • yngjngyngjng Posts: 7
    edited 2006-05-12 14:41
    ok...let me describe my problem.
    my project is built a telerobot system. so, i had choosen a BoeBot mobile robot as the robot to be control over the internet.
    now, i have a client-server system. a client is communicate with the server via internet. a client can upload a sourcecode file to the server placed in the lab. normally, we can transfer the sourcecode to Parallax Basic Stamp 2 (BS2) using Parallax IDE. But the problem is i dont know how to control the Parallax IDE across the internet. so, i trying other method of transferring the sourcecode.

allanlane5
    "The 'stache' module allows you to load the module, carry it into the field, and use it to program another BS2 in the field. Parallax has also made available their compiler engine as a DLL, so you could write your own downloader."

would u mind to describe more on it. Do u have any relevant resources for this? I think u get my question.

thank you.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-12 14:53
    Yes, you would definately need to look into the Tokenizer Library, or you could use the function from the menu for generating object code.· You can create a stand-alone program.· This may or may not help you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-05-12 16:41
    In you description of your problem, you seem to use the words control and program interchangably - but they're not. Control of your BoeBOT over the internet is not difficult. Assuming you've got a client PC (or a Parallax PINK), then you can just write your PBASIC BoeBOT program to wait for commands on the serial port and perform the command. ie to turn left and go forward 5 steps, your client PC would issue the commands L F F F F F and your robot would execute each command in sequence.
  • yngjngyngjng Posts: 7
    edited 2006-06-15 04:27
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    Yes, you would definately need to look into the Tokenizer Library, or you could use the function from the menu for generating object code.· You can create a stand-alone program.· This may or may not help you.

thank you for your reply. i think generating object code will be easier fo me. what is object code? is that the source code being converted? if generating the object code, i have to use the StampLoader to load the object code to the microcontroller which i think is impossible to do it from client machine to execute the Stamploader. if the StampLoader just performing the transferring task, can i write a program to do the transferring process? i think the protocol is given in the Pbasic tokenizer notes.
  • Tristan TTristan T Posts: 31
    edited 2006-06-15 15:20
    Yngjng,
    Do you need to add functionality every time you remotely program the robot, or do you just need to give it remote commands?

If you only need to remotely issue commands or sequences of already programmed events, like turn left, go forward, turn right, then you might only need to have the robot listen for a serial in, parse a command string, and go to the required preprogrammed subroutine. i.e.
    DO
    SERIN 16, 14, [noparse][[/noparse]control, comma]

SELECT control
    CASE  $4D
       GOSUB turnLeft
    CASE $56
       GOSUB goStraight
    ENDSELECT

turnLeft:
    some events here
    return

etc etc