Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
(URGENT PLEASE) Connecting 2 BS2 boards togther — Parallax Forums

(URGENT PLEASE) Connecting 2 BS2 boards togther

Email AEmail A Posts: 3
edited 2006-05-27 20:28 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I have a problem htat i want to use 2 flexinol wires at the same time on my BS2 boards, the problem is that i dont have enough power to make them both work at the same time. It happens that i have 2 BS2 boards, so i was thinking of connecting both of them together so that one stamp can give the commands to the other board, could you please tell me how to do that and what precautions i have to take in order not to fry both boards,

Thanks alot.

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-07 10:15
    Are you using the onboard regulator for the Flexinol(musclewire) strands?

Don't do that.

Use another regulator.
    A 7805 doesn't cost much, and it can deliver a whole Amp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Email AEmail A Posts: 3
    edited 2006-05-07 17:20
    thanks alot for your help....i have been using a 2n3904 transistor...............so do i connect the regulator the same why i connected the transistor? Thanks again
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-05-17 23:04
    You'll still need to use the 2N3904 transistors to drive the Flexinol wires. The 7805 regulator is to serve as the power source for the wires themseles so that you are not taxing the on-board regulator. The way to look at this is realize that you need two power supplies: The one for the BS2 board and the one for the Flexinol wires.

For example, you might have a 9V battery powering your BS2 board and a separate battery pack of 6 D-cells (9V total) to provide the power for the Flexinol wires. The grounds of both batteries would be the same but you'd only provide the 9V from the D-cells to the above-mentioned 7805 regulator. The output of the 7805 would then be the "Vss" for the Flexinol wires and their driver transistors ONLY.
  • Email AEmail A Posts: 3
    edited 2006-05-27 20:28
    thanks alot