Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Several questions in need of answers — Parallax Forums

Several questions in need of answers

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
edited 2006-05-11 01:34 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
First Question: Does the BS1 serial adapter have a cable distance restriction? (How far apart the host can be from the BS1 that's using it.)jumpin.gif
Second Question: Aside from the FTDI serial to USB adapter that Parallax sells, does the company have another brand in mind that they favor?confused.gif
And the all important Third Question: That new ISO image, does it matter if it is written to an CD-R, or temporarily to a CD-RW instead?idea.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-05-06 16:56
    Yes, but RS-232 itself has a distance limitation.

No, the company really-really likes the FTDI, it works well for them, and it's not too expensive.
    Personally, I'm fond of the KeySpan 19, because it's always worked for me.

Third -- I don't believe this matters, as long as your CD reader has no problem with CD-RW's.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-06 18:10
    1. You should probably keep it six feet or less
    2. No -- we've struggled with our customers with USB adapters and settled on FTDI for a good reason: it always works
    3. ??? (I don't have any need to burn my own CDs
    4. Be mindful of multi-[noparse][[/noparse]unrelated]-question threads; they can be tricky for those trying to support you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
    edited 2006-05-11 01:34
    Jon Williams said...
    1. You should probably keep it six feet or less
    2. No -- we've struggled with our customers with USB adapters and settled on FTDI for a good reason: it always works
    3. ??? (I don't have any need to burn my own CDs
    4. Be mindful of multi-[noparse][[/noparse]unrelated]-question threads; they can be tricky for those trying to support you.
    1. I recently upgraded this computer to running XP SP2 and its further from my work area, then the previous one.jumpin.gif
    2. I agree. The Belkin one I have does not work, and I know from previous posts why it does not work.tongue.gif
    3. I've already gotten the CD to work from my setup. Its a temporary solution only.

4. Noted. I'll keep my posts to single related question ones next time.

I should also mention that I asked those before because I needed to revive my explorations with the BS1 Stamp unit for a project. When completed of course it will be described next door appropriately and not here.eyes.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name